Chapter 10

"The perfect little she-cat, Shadepaw, is a murderer!" Robinheart snarled, eyes glowing with menace.

Shadepaw shrunk down as the cats that didn't take place in the assassination spat insults at her. A claw raked across her good ear. Another blow hit her on the cheek. Blood dripped down her face, falling to the white snow.

"Stop!" A loud voice yowled.

The cats torturing her stepped back as Dustpaw made his way in front.

"Is it true? Did you kill him?" He asked, his eyes clouded.

Shadepaw met his gaze, trembling. "I'm sorry!" she blurted, her eyes blurring. "Forgive me, I shouldn't have done it!"

Dustpaw's eyes shone with disbelief. "How could you!" he hissed. "I thought you were better than that." He lowered his gaze. "Now I know why your mother hates you," he whispered.

The pain was overwhelming. Shadepaw swayed on her paws, a pit of darkness seemed to swallow her, all she could hear was the faint rustling of the trees.

"It wasn't just her," a strong voice spoke up. Shadepaw turned around and saw Clovergaze next to Frozenpaw. "I helped."

Frozenpaw raised her head and yowled. "I helped!"

Thistlejaw stepped forward and dipped his head. "I took part as well."

Rainflash and Owlflight admitted in sync, "I did too!"

Slowly, all cats that took part admitted their crime, and just as they finished, Poppyheart and Addertail walked into the camp. Poppyheart wordlessly jumped up onto the highledge. "I, Poppystar, leader of MountainClan promise to lead this clan until my death is called."

"Poppystar!"

"Poppystar!"

"Poppystar!" The cats cheered half-heartedly.

"I have thought long and hard about this decision," Poppystar rasped. "This deputy is loyal, brave, protective of his clan, and fearless." She hesitated before announcing, "I hope StarClan hears and approves of my choice. Thistlejaw, I have never doubted your loyalty to MountainClan once, and I hope you are willing to act as MountainClain's deputy!"

Cats in the clearing let out yowls of protest.

Thistlejaw spoke above the clamor. "Poppystar, I have to refuse," he sighed. "I helped kill Eaglestar."

Poppystar didn't look angry, she just dipped her head. "I know," she mewed, her voice hardly more then a breath. "When I was at the Shimmering Pond, Eaglestar told me who murdered him, but he forgives you and understands why you did it." The new leader's eyes hardened. "Now, do you accept or decline my offer, Thistlejaw?"

"If Eaglestar forgives me and the rest of us, I accept," he announced.

Shadepaw felt her pelt burn as if something were looking at her. She turned around and saw Dustpaw, who quickly avoided her gaze.

"Good," she purred. "This meeting is now dismissed!"

Shadepaw turned and walked towards Dustpaw, who quickly padded away.

"How's it feel now," a growl sounded in her ear. Robinheart's scent filled her nose.

Shadepaw turned on her. "Leave me alone!" she hissed, dashing off towards the apprentice's den. Emberpaw, Harepaw, Dustpaw, and Lostpaw's nest were all bunched together, away from Shadepaw's and Frozenpaw's. Shadepaw sighed and fell into an uncomfortable sleep.

Two days had passed since the fight between her and almost every cat in the clan. Cats glared at her, nipped at her, and threw insults at her, making her feel like an outcast. The samething happened with Frozenpaw. Although Thistlejaw was deputy, he sometimes didn't get respected because of the murder. Clovergaze told Shadepaw that she had the day off, because they were working their tails off the past few days. Shadepaw caught Dustpaw padding restlessly around camp. She slowly trotted up to him. "Dustpaw..." She started.