Chapter 11

Shadepaw bounced excitedly next to Clovergaze. "I can't believe it!" she squeaked. "I'm on dawn patrol!"

Ahead of them were Tinypuddle, Dappleshine, and Rainflash. "We're going to CreekClan's border," Dappleshine announced, padding closer to the creek. Shadepaw had only been near the creek twice, once to get herbs, and once when first exploring territory. They stopped, and Shadepaw had to dig her claws into the ground to stop her from bumping into her mentor.

"Rainpaw!" A cheerful voice called. Shadepaw saw a light grey she-cat run to the border to meet Rainflash.

Rainflash pretended to look puzzled. "Who's Rainpaw?" she asked, looking around. "I'm Rainflash!"

The CreekClan cat let out a long purr. "You got your warrior name? I did too! I'm Littlecry."

"Littlecry!" a deep voice called as new cats joined. "I told you not to run ahead!" The brown tabby stopped when he saw the MountainClan cats, then let out a purr. "Long time no see!"

Shadepaw watched as the cats reunite with their old friends while she sat there.

"Is that your apprentice, Clovergaze?" The brown tabby asked, his yellow eyes fixed on Shadepaw.

Clovergaze beckoned Shadepaw over with her tail. "Yes, this is Shadepaw," she introduced.

Shadepaw looked into his friendly yellow eyes and relaxed. "I'm Briarberry," he announced. "Nice to meet you!" Shadepaw dipped her head in response.

"I wish we could talk to other clan cats more often, we only see each other on border patrols!" Clovergaze complained, her tail twitching. "Anyway," she mewed, "how's Halfstar?"

"Halfstar's great, but she still only has one good ear." Briarberry's eyes met Shadepaw's torn ear. "Where'd you get that?" He asked, his eyes giving away his curiosity.

Shadepaw blinked, trying to think of what to say. She pushed down the fresh wave of grief as she remembered the blood gurgling in Pebbleclaw's throat as his life slipped away from him. She shivered. "It was a rogue," she said quickly, her eyes flicking to Clovergaze and back to the tom.

Briarberry's mouth opened as if he was going to say more, but he closed it. "How's Eaglestar?" he asked, changing the subject.

Clovergaze lowered her gaze. "He's with StarClan now," she murmured. She flashed Shadepaw a warning glance. Shadepaw purposely pretended not to hear and looked around to see Dappleshine talking to a cream colored tom with green eyes, and Tinypuddle talking to a tortoiseshell she-cat with a sharp, long muzzle with small scars marking it.

"We should get back to camp," Dappleshine meowed loudly to the MountainClan cats. They marked the borders and headed back to camp.

Shadepaw stretched in a sunny spot in the clearing, trying to absorb the heat in her dark pelt. The snow under her was freezing, and didn't help her get warm. She saw the apprentice's den entrance rustle as Dustpaw and Harepaw padded out, slowly followed by Frozenpaw, Lostpaw, and Emberpaw. A tail touched Shadepaw's shoulder, making her yelp with surprise. Clovergaze was standing behind her.

"Today you will be renewing Hazelflash's bedding, and freeing his pelt from any ticks you find."

Shadepaw's nose wrinkled with disgust just at the thought, but she reluctantly began gathering moss.

After painstakingly getting rid of ticks and renewing bedding, Shadepaw plopped down into her nest. Her mentor said they'd be hunting the whole day tomorrow, since Shadepaw's fighting skills were sharper than her hunting. The snow had thawed on her pelt, and she fell into a deep sleep.