Chapter 9

The moon was high in the sky as Frozenpaw prodded her awake. "It's time," she whispered. Frozenpaw had heard about the assassination plan and almost immediately agreed to help. The two apprentices silently slipped out of the den where snow stuck to the ground. Dustpaw, Harepaw, Emberpaw, and Lostpaw were still sleeping silently. A group of cats stood outside the leader's den. As they got closer, she could identify the cats: Rainflash, Owlflight, Dappleshine, Shatteredfang, Thistlejaw, Clovergaze, Froststrike, and Silverflower.

"The apprentice's are here," Shatteredfang whispered.

Thistlejaw's eyes raked across the cats and fell on Frozenpaw and Shadepaw. "You two, Frozenpaw, Shadepaw, will deal the death blow when I say." His gaze switched to Shatteredfang. "You're the strongest and heaviest, so you will shove his face in the dirt, making his yowls of pain muffled, almost silent." His gaze then went to Rainflash and Owlflight. "You two will rake his left side, you have sharp claws." He turned to Froststrike and Dappleshine. "You two will get the right side, make sure he feels great pain." His gaze finally rested on Silverflower. "We will blind him and claw his ears off." He paused, letting the cats get to know their jobs in their heads. "Everybody ready?"

The cats gathered let out hushed, yet excited murmurs.

"Let's go!" They slowly crept into the den, careful not to disturb the sleeping leader. He flicked his tail at Shatteredfang who jumped onto his leader and shoved his face into the dirt, muffling his yowl of alarm. The rest of the cats got in their position, raking and biting the leader who tried to fling them off, but failed miserably. Frozenpaw and Shadepaw waited patiently for their turn. Frozenpaw's eyes were shining with excitement. Blood glistened on the leader's once brown pelt. His ears were both shredded like Shadepaw's one ear. Claw marks covered his eyes, meaning he was obviously blind. "Make room for Shadepaw and Frozenpaw!"

Shadepaw and Frozenpaw padded over to the blood-stained leader. "I'll get his stomach, you get his throat," Frozenpaw growled.

Shadepaw obeyed and softly fastened her teeth into Eaglestar's throat. Frozenpaw's eyes gleamed in the dark den as she whispered, "one, two three..." On three, Shadepaw bit down as hard as she could while Frozenpaw slashed open his belly, leaving a long gash. Blood pooled quickly out of the now limp body.

"He's dead," Dappleshine rasped. 

The sour tang of blood filled the air, making Shadepaw feel sick. Why did I do that? She wailed in her mind. What did that accomplish?

As the silence stretched, Thistlejaw stepped forward. "Let's go to the river to wash our paws then return to camp," he ordered, somber.

"Quick, quick!" A voice woke Shadepaw from her dream. "Eaglestar has been murdered!"

Shadepaw opened one eye to a slit and saw Dustpaw, his face panicked. She groaned and turned her back to him.

Dustpaw just took her scruff and dragged her out of the den as she hissed insults. In the middle of the clearing lay Eaglestar's teared up body. Shadepaw forced her eyes to go wide with shock.

Poppyheart jumped onto the highledge, her head high. "Eaglestar's murder is a shock to us all, but right now we need a leader," she said, her voice solemn. "After this meeting I will head to the Shimmering Pond to receive my nine lives and name."

"What about deputy?" Goldenspiral asked, her eyes clouded with worry.

Poppyheart's eyes locked with Goldenspiral's. "Deputy will be chosen when I return," she answered. Her gaze drifted across the clearing. "Any questions before Addertail and I are off?"