Chapter 7

Carter wasn't in class the rest of the week. Day after day in Science, there was no sign of him. He just wasn't there. No one mentioned it. 

Alex however was constantly keeping me on my toes. The playful smirks he'd toss me in the middle of the class, the easy going winks, the soft "hey" in my ear that he'd whisper as he passed by, they were all driving me crazy. I knew I felt something for him. I knew it was some sort of twisted mix of lust and passion. I just didn't know what to do with it. I'd catch him looking across the room at me, this blend of desire and hunger burning in his eyes. It was so intense, so real, it took my breath away. So when he came around to my photography station on wednesday afternoon and brushed aside the hair covering my ear, whispering the words "I'll pick you up at 7 on Friday", I just breathlessly nodded.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

And he did indeed, pick me up on Friday at 7, right on the dot. He tapped on his horn lightly once, out in front of my house. I was rushing out the door when I heard a weak voice saying "Ava." I froze. Slowly turned. Was that my mom? I heard it again, coming from my mother's bedroom. I walked in slowly, stopping in the doorway, barely breathing. The room was dark, with only a dimly lighted lamp resting on the bedside table. "Mom?" I murmured. Even in the dim lighting I could still see a small attempt at a smile form on my mother's face. "Your father tells me you're going on a date." she said quietly, her voice scratched and hoarse. I nodded slowly. "Have fun, okay?" she managed, her voice starting to shake. I bit my lip. My throat was getting tight, my heart aching for her. "I'll be home at a decent hour, I promise" I murmured, walking slowly over to her, placing a light kiss on her forehead. I slowly walked out the door, brushing away the insistant tears that were starting to pool in my eyes. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I got in Alex's car and stared at the dash, feeling the drip of my mascara. "Ava...?" he started to say. I held up my hand and cut him off. "Just... Drive. Please. I need to get out of here." I said quietly. He didn't say anything, only placed his land gingerly on my knee. When I didn't make any move to swat at him, he placed it more firmly and squeezed, driving off into the night. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~

We drove in silence, up a winding road, trees all around us. I closed my eyes and collected myself, and by the time the car stopped, I was pretty sure I was okay enough to open my eyes and speak. I blinked and looked around, finding Alex's eyes on mine, mysterious as ever. He got out of the car and came around to my door, unlocking it for me. He had a small smile playing upon his lips, and held out a hand for me. I took it lightly, and got out, checking out my surroundings. We were at an old lake, the trees surrounding it withered with age, looking like they could snap at any second. He pulled me onto the hood of his car, where he had laid out a blanket, and sat me down with him. "Don't think about it." He murmured after a moment, and planted his lips firmly against mine. 

~~~~~~~~

This continued for most of the night. The air was silent when we laid back down onto the blanket, staring up at the stars. "Ava?" he said, after a while. I rolled my head to the side, meeting his eyes. They were more open, and more honest, then I'd ever seen. "Yeah?" I managed, breathlessly. "I really like you." he said quietly. I looked at him, and his eyes were soft, the air of mystery slightly less cloudy. "I think I really like you too.." I murmured quietly. A smile played on his lips, his dark hair glistening in the moonlight from the gel that had obviously been applied. He shrugged off his leather jacket and slipped it under me, wrapping it around my shoulders. "Can we please do this again?" he asked, his tone light. I looked over at him and nodded. 

And that was the start of my whirlwind, passion filled, tornado of a relationship with Alex.