#23- F e s t i v e . . . ?

Patrick's POV

"Patrick!", my aunt laughed in surprise seeing me stand in front of her door.

"Hi, Liza", I waved awkwardly as she pulled me into a hug.

"How's my baby boy?"

"Erm... I'm great, Liza, thanks"

"Oooh, I see you've brought someone with you!"

"Yeah", I smiled "This is...", I stopped when I realized she was talking about my dog.

"You're adorable!", she tickled him "Yes, you are!"

"Liza", I hissed silently and cleared my throat "He's not the only one I've brought with me"

"Oh, right", she looked up, chuckling in embarrassment "So who is this pretty guy?"

I rolled my eyes in annoyance: my aunt always tried to flirt with my friends to make a good impression.

"This is Pete"

"Pleased to meet you, madam", he shook her hand gently.

Wow, why did he become so kind all of sudden?

"Oh, it's nice to meet you, too! Now come in, guys, it's so cold out there"

The house was exactly how I had left it the previous year. I always loved the warmth that radiated from the huge chimney settled in a corner of the lounge. Everything was ready for Christmas, the whole house covered in festive ornaments.

"Yeah, my aunt always exaggerates decorations", I muttered in reply to Pete's weird expression.

"Why are you teasing me, Patrick?", she shouted from a bedroom, causing me to grin mischievously.

"Wow, what are you cooking for dinner?", I asked as I felt a great smell coming from the kitchen.

"You'll know soon", she winked.

To be honest, I was pretty thrilled to spend Christmas holidays with someone else apart from my aunt and uncle, it was the first time I invited someone after my parent's death.

"Oh, Liza, is someone else coming tonight for Christmas Eve?", I questioned all of sudden.

"Um... yes, actually. My friend Chloe is coming with her family, she has a sweet little girl called Sarah... why don't you look after her?"

"Oh, no, Lizaaa", I complained.

"Come on! It's gonna be fun, and Pete can always help you!"

"Yeah, sure, and Pete can't wait to look after a child on Christmas Eve, of course!"

***

My ears kept ringing in that burst of noises, voices and laughs at the table. I scanned the surrounding space to let my eyes land on Pete: he was silent, eating his dinner, then he glanced at the little girl. With a half smile he turned to Liza: "This food is fantastic! Now I understand why Patrick can cook so well"

I blushed as he continued: "Did you teach him?"

She slowly nodded before letting out a little "thank you".

She was worried; I could see that from her expression.

"When is Fred coming?", I whispered. It looked like she expected that question from me. She lowered her head and tried to show a fake smile as she turned to her friend Chloe.

"Who's Fred?", Pete asked with genuine curiosity, his big hazel eyes fixated on my face.

"My uncle", I sighed.