E p i l o g u e

Patrick's POV

"The person that you'd take a bullet for is behind the trigger", I casually scribbled that line on a napkin the next day, while I was having breakfast.

"'Morning", Brendon mumbled as he walked past the kitchen table with a cup of coffee in his hands.

"'Morning", I repeated, putting the napkin away to start leafing through a newspaper that the postman had just left.

Fuck.

His name was still there, in capital letters, now on the first page.

"Police found an anonymous letter and a recording in the middle of the night, which helped cops find the fearsome boss that controlled the killer squad in New York"

They showed the picture of a man with very short hair and dark eyes. His eyebrows were furrowed while he was gnashing his teeth in anger; and he looked so familiar...

I froze. It was him: he had killed my parents. I reluctantly scanned his figure, my eyes glued to the man's face and that old, terrible grimace almost similar to a smirk.

Tyler Fredericks; so that was his name. I suddenly remembered that moment with Pete, in the train to Philadelphia.

***

"Fredericks?", I repeated as I looked at his ringing phone "Who is Fredericks?"

"Ah, just an annoying dude", Pete replied.

"Why aren't you answering the call?"

"Because he is a dumbfounded idiot and I want him to stay away from me", he hissed and turned his back on me to grab the suitcases.

***

My jaw dropped as I realized, bewildered: Pete probably worked for him. Did he know what his boss had done? Did he know?

Anger boiled in my veins as I struggled to return my attention to the news.

"Another girl was caught with him; cops assumed she had to be involved with one of the killers' latest missions"

My eyes grew wider in utter shock as I looked at the tough, yet amused expression on Sky's face. I knew that; she was a complete psychopath.

My whole world is full of lies and liars, I thought, feeling again on the verge of tears. I already missed thinking about Pete as the nice one. He looked such a monster to my eyes now. But at the same time I knew he was partly innocent, I knew he had really wanted to help me go through my problems.

I knew he loved me for real.

"That's not all", the journalist continued "Once he was caught, Fredericks revealed something: one of the most famous local killers called Noah Brooks is probably the one who left the letter with the recording; he's wandering around New York right now, and... surprise: his double identity has been found out! Fredericks stated that his second name, the one he's currently using to hide from suspicious eyes, is P-"

I quickly shut the television off and sensed blood freeze in my veins as Brendon asked: "Hey, you okay?"

I tilted my eyes away from the now black screen: "Uh, yes"

"So...", he sighed before hinting at the tv "Why did you turn it off?"

"It was annoying"

He shrugged: "Well... any plans for today?"

"Meet Peter"

"When exactly?"

"As soon as possible; even now"