nine

nine

I DIDN'T GO TO school the following day. Partly because I was aching all over and would've fallen into a heap of pathetic bones if I'd moved, and partly because all the schools were shut down. They deemed the risk levels too high. 

Of course, it was all over the news. If not by the dozens of phones taping the entire ordeal, then by the cameras brought on site. Who would've willingly missed a showdown between the city's most notorious criminal and her victim? 

Someone incredibly stupid, that's who.

Don't get me wrong, my mother certainly wasn't incredibly stupid, she was just a bit ... a bit disconnected from reality. It'd really gotten worse since the death of my father, not that I'd been more than six years old at the time. She didn't watch the news, either. She occasionally tuned in when I watched them, and would shake her head at whatever news of Nightspark broadcasting.

Little did she know that it was that Nightspark that got the bills and mortgage mostly paid. And saved for college tuition and her mother's retirement money. I would tell her. Eventually. When the time came, although I was well aware that saying ''when the time comes'' was the equivalent of never.

I sighed, rubbing my half-closed lids in hopes of waking myself up, propelling my body into action. I needed some coffee, and although I'd never liked the beverage, it would be my only salvation at the moment. And so, I chucked on my most worn hoodie and the biggest pair of sweats I owned. My feet were hastily clad in a soft pair of newly washed socks, enabling me to slide across the hall and down the stairs.

Mother was gone, out to work at the diner once again. 

She should really quit, I thought then immediately shook my head, realising she'd never quit. Even though they paid her crap salary, she felt loyal to the small diner and the owner's family.  

Loyalty, I mocked in my mind, turning on the newly purchased coffee maker. It's just a cheap synonym for people who seek the strongest ally and stick with them until they find another one. 

I may be a twisted human with a wicked mind and a completely fucked up way of seeing reality, but I'd gotten through it. By my own methods, however unorthodox. Without any ''loyalty'' fucking up my plans.

Jesus, you're pessimistic. 

I tapped my foot impatiently to our floors as the coffee maker whirred and whizzed, pouring up my hot beverage. My entire body was still aching, but the coffee ought to help a bit. 

Just as I sunk down by our kitchen table there was a knock on my door. I frowned, checking the clock mounted on the wall.

It's barely 12 AM, I noted, standing up to gaze out the window. I furrows my brows, catching a sight of a red-haired nuisance. 

Unwillingly, I stalked over to the door and let it creak open as I looked down at Aria, whose eyes were red-rimmed and brimmed with moisture.

Weakness. 

"Please, hear me out - I've no one else to talk to. Not even Lacey, she's - "

Aria broke off, gnawing on her lip. A nasty habit. 

"-heartbroken over her boyfriend's death, I presume?" My lips pursed as I saw her studying the red skin on the side of my face. 

"What happened?" She asked, and the question was so artificial I thought it was made of plastic for a second. 

"You know what happened." Came my answer as I swivelled around, heading back to the kitchen and my rapidly cooling cup of coffee. 

I heard Aria's footsteps behind me as she closed the door, stepping inside and removing her shoes.