twenty seven

twenty seven

"WE HAVE VERY RARE footage of a metahuman who apparently is the renowned Nightspark. Here we see her fighting a man in the middle ages, who apparently wields the power to control metal -"

A clip of mine and Dan's fight followed the segment, and while there was no audio, the video was bad enough. You couldn't see our individual features, since it had been filmed from the helicopter, and I released a relieved breath. 

The screen switched back to the news anchor, who continued speaking:

"We are now right on the crime scene, trying to get an interview with the chief of Dynamo's entire police department - Chief Jenkins! Chief Jenkins!"

A chant arose from the journalists and reporters gathered around a small podium that'd been set up for addressing the crowds. A tall, broad-shouldered man made his way into the picture, wearing a dark blue uniform with several badges pinned on his chest. 

He answered questions in a breeze, avoiding the more sensitive ones regarding the police's failing actions in the matter. All in all, a pretty good guy, considering he made jack-shit to help the chase after us fugitives. 

"At least he didn't get your face." Ethan commented between bites of his lunch, eyes glued to the TV. 

"At least they didn't get your faces." I pointed out, talking to Aria and Jordan, "That would've been a real shitstorm."

Jordan shook his head, "We were smart enough to wear our suits."

"I wasn't exactly imagining a showdown when I went out that morning." I snapped back in response, and Ethan glanced wearily between us.

"Stow away those egos and focus on the news, will you?" Aria bit out, "We need to get a hang of the situation."

Voice of reason, I thought, listening to the TV again.

"Yes, it is confirmed the individual we saw fighting is Nightspark. No, she was not wearing her mask. The footage is largely blurry, as no police were able to intercept the ongoing fight."

"Those lazy bastards could've shot any of us with one of those sleepy darts if they wanted to." I commented, "Idiots rely too much on heroes these days. Where are Dynamo's heroes, either way?"

"I don't know. I've no clue who they are." Jordan responded, then turned to Ethan.

Ethan, who got what we were asking for, cleared his throat. He placed his plate on the coffee table, then leaned back into the couch. 

"Well, one of our newer ones has been kind of kept under the radar, but I hear she's named Mirage, or something."

Aria leaned forward, "Powers?"

"Don't know. As I said, pretty new. Other than that, I guess we've got Shade, her sidekick of sorts. Don't know his powers either." He added, looking Aria's way. 

"I think we need to sum things up." I said slowly, brain whirring to figure out our situation, "I can't keep up with ... with everything."