twenty

twenty

IT WAS a lighthearted silence that accompanied us. Talking out was a first I'd never really experienced, and perhaps it was foolish of me, but either way- 

We hadn't bitten each other's heads off as of yet, so I deemed the truce well enough to last a bit more. It allowed me to focus on the matter at hand, which was the super stalking me. Obviously with the control over metal, I could narrow it down some if I knew of supers with those powers, but I didn't. Come to think of it, I didn't know about that many supers at all outside of Crown Heights, but I strongly doubted one of them had followed me to Dynamo City. 

But maybe. Just maybe. There was a slim chance they could've, but if I dwelled on all the ifs I'd go insane. I'd never be able to rebuild the life I had dreamed of. 

Oh, shut up! Since when did you become a philosopher? Where's the Rae you were in Crown Heights!?

Come to think of it, I didn't know. Maybe I didn't want to know. Had I improved as a person? 

Not really. 

But I felt ... lighter. Weights, tons of them, had lifted off of my chest. Paper-light, bird-free. That's who I now was. Perhaps a bit unsteady, a bit uncertain about decisions and where I was heading. I was only hoping that when the path forked, I'd be sensible enough to choose the way to would benefit me the most. 

Selfish much? 

Try having some self-awareness. 

Ignoring the suddenly philosophic side of my conscience I hadn't pondered over before, I thought back to the very obvious and very real problem of a super stalking me. I didn't know of anyone with the ability to control and manipulate matter, especially metal. I needed to go through some of my old notes on my computer, a short list of known supers strengths/weaknesses. If I even had it, still. 

Returning to the Herotel after a short walk, I decided it was about damn time to move out of the motel. I'd already taken all available routes on my walks to and from the forsaken place, and the neon sign together with the cheap decor made my skin crawl the longer time we spent here. Every takeout meal, every morning when I had to wait to use to the bathroom - 

I'm going insane. 

Which was why I, as soon as I entered our room, voiced my complaints.

"Don't you think our living quarters are the least of our concerns?" My mother fired back, and the sharp words frayed the thin blanket covering the rift between us. 

"Haven't you given a thought as to how long we might stay here?" I asked, shaking my head, "I can't even bring up something without you starting an argument! Who's the actual adult here?"

I pinned her with accusing eyes, then crossed my arms över my chest in a defensive stance.

"I'm holding my own." I stated, unshakeable, "Where's Gray in all this?"

"Out getting lunch." She replied, just as a key clicked in the lock of the door, "Done getting lunch." She then added, just as the aroma of fat fast food enveloped them. 

"Here you go." Gray said, and handed me a hamburger wrapped in flimsy paper. I unveiled it, then grimaced.

"It has pickles in it." I complained, and he shrugged.