thirty four

a/n: i updated chapter 33 and 34 at the same time! make sure to read them in the right order!

thirty four

THE WEAPONS' LAB was impressive. I was reluctant to admit it, given my current situation, but I couldn't help but admire the large, cavernous room we'd entered. A steel walkway ran along the edge of the room, stairs leading down to its ground floor. Rows of desks lined with all sort of machinery were situated in one corner, and in the other was blackened target boards and all sorts of weapons spread out on a variety of tables and hung on walls. 

Well, shit. It sure didn't seem like they needed more help producing weapons, when their weapon stash could rival the combined firepower of most of the country's larger cities' police force. 

"You like it? This is where you'll be spending a lot of time. Here, and in your cel-room." Katie said, sweeping with her arm to gesture to the room, "Isn't it lovely?" 

"Sure is. A bit flat on the decorative side, but I'm all for Scandinavian minimalism." I retorted, my voice lacking any trace of humour. Katie didn't let my words get to her, and instead used the steel stairs to get to the ground floor. 

Since the room was so vast, and relatively empty, her voice echoed ominously across the space when she next spoke. With not another soul in sight, she was left alone to stroll among the work benches.

"Guards, take Ethan to the practice boards. I'd like to show him a new prototype." She smiled, just as my face hardened. Ethan was forcibly dragged away, not even struggling. They placed him by the blackened face of a target practice, a doll resembling a human. 

"You can't hurt him." I said, hoping my voice didn't betray the emotional turmoil raging inside, "I only promised to help you so you would spare him." I don't want to cause more pain. 

"I won't hurt him." Katie said, stopping by a certain desk. She picked up a small gun, studying its sleek form, "Much." She added ,and I narrowed my eyes at her. 

"This wasn't a part of our deal." I shouted, my voice echoing. I couldn't do anything, my powers still drained and my hands cuffed together. They'd even cuffed my ankles together, preventing me from doing much more than scooting forward. The only weapon I had was my words. 

Which, as it's been proven time and time again, is not much. 

Sometimes being brutally honest with myself hurt. It hurt almost as much as the painful galloping of my heart when Katie took her place by the end of the practice course, hand firmly gripping the gun. It lit up, glowing a vivid blue when she squeezed it. 

"See here, Ethan." She said, aiming it straight at him, "Watch and learn." She pulled the trigger, a bang echoing across the cavern, slamming against my eardrums. The gun glowed bright, the blue intensifying, but nothing happened. 

Katie sighed, "See, Rae, this is why we need your help." She shook the gun again, lifting it to the target doll on Ethan's right. With another pull of the trigger, the same painfully loud noise ricocheted around the cave, but not a projectile was launched at the doll. It was like a bullet, but I saw no bullet. Instead, it was tangible energy, a force which slammed into the target doll ominously. Smoke rose from its head, and when I peered at it, I saw the head had completely been burned off. 

It hadn't even been shot off, it had disintegrated. Katie cackled with delight, placing the gun on a serving wagon by her side.

"Perfect. With your help, Rae, this darling could run flawlessly." 

Unease crawled along my spine. Saving Ethan's life was one thing, but potentially risking countless others ... 

Had I really made the right choice? Could I back out?