Exam Stress (Nishiki)

" Which of the following is NOT contraindicated for the treatment of acute ischa- ishchem..."

"Tsch. It says ischemic. I'm not going to answer it if you can't even ask the damn question right."

"Sorry! I don't exactly use these words on a daily basis!"

Coffee. Lamps. Stress. 3am. You and Nishiki had been going over the review for his pharmaceutical test that was tomorrow (or technically, today) for 2 hours and he wasn't getting any closer to passing. You seemed to be more worried about his grade than him. Nishiki took a sip of his coffee as he read the question himself.

"Why did I take the damn Pharmaceutical Department anyway?" Nishiki almost shouted before he threw the sheets of paper across the room and swore under his breath. They landed on his desk, before they slowly fell to the ground. You watched as the questions fell to the floor, the words as pointless as the food Nishiki kept in the fridge. He was so serious about pretending to be human, so much that he would occasionally buy food to keep in his fridge. If you looked at the product properly however, you would see that a lot of the food was out of date.

The room was silent other than the sound of you both drinking your coffees. It was your 3rd mug and Nishiki's 5th. Looking out the window, you saw the bright moon accompanied with thousands of dazzling stars. The sky was beautiful and clear- you could see every detail of the sky. Different blues, blacks and purples combined to form the sky above. You looked back at Nishiki. His hazelnut hair was messy, untidy and covering part of his face. His fingers tapped slowly on his mug as he silently thought. His body sat still on the floor you had both been sitting on for hours. You didn't try to make him say something when he didn't want to- you knew him too well. Instead, you looked at your ticking watch on your wrist. It was now 3:23am, Nishiki hadn't said anything for over 10 minutes. You looked at the mug in his hands. It had a rather too happy snake on it with the words 'I Hiss You Were Here' next to it. You got it for Nishiki when you went on a week-long trip several months ago, because you knew he would hate the pun on it. Funnily enough, it was now his favourite mug. Aside from the snake on it, you saw that the mug was now empty, the last of the contents being drank by Nishiki a couple of minutes ago.

"D-do you need another coffee?" You stuttered as you asked him- you've been his best friend for over 2 years now, but that didn't stop your awkwardness. He didn't respond, until he lifted his head up and took off his glasses to rub his eyes. Was he crying? You didn't see any tears. No, he must just be tired. After a minute, he looked up to you. His face was glowing from the small light of the lamp next to the desk. His golden-brown eyes glistened against the shining light and for the first time in his adult life he looked...innocent. You couldn't stop yourself from smiling and you couldn't help but think he looked just-a-bit adorable.

He didn't say anything, but gently nodded his head and held the mug out for you to take. You slowly took the mug.

"I know you're going to pass Nishiki. How long have we revised this? 2 weeks? 3? You're intelligent and smart, and if you believe in yourself then you'll do better than ever! Believe in yourself, Nishiki! If you don't believe, bring something that will make you! A lucky charm! Something!" You felt like screaming it at the top of your lungs from the rooftop, but it was 3 in the morning, and not many people would appreciate your motivational speech at this time. There was no response from him, so you proceeded to get up. You had been sitting down for so long that your legs had fell asleep and began to shake, and before you knew it, you were almost falling over. However, a hand grabbed your arm before you could drop to the floor.

Nishiki's hand was gripped around your arm, and his eyes were looking directly into yours. You could feel your face turning a bright red.

"You dumbass." Nishiki grinned.

"What? I hadn't stood up in hours!"

"Not that, idiot."

"Then what?!" The mug was still gripped tight in your free hand.

"I don't need a lucky charm when I have you."

Nishiki pulled you closer to him. You were face to face. You could practically hear every one of his breaths.

"N-Nishiki?!" You couldn't stop stuttering. What was happening?!

"You look adorable when you're worried." And with that, your lips met his. You were in total shock, but you didn't pull back. You tried to focus on what was happening, without dropping the mug in your other hand. You just offered him some more coffee! How long had he been feeling this way?! His lips were soft against yours, and you could feel every part of your face turning the brightest red. His hand was still gripping your arm. He still didn't have his glasses on. He was still the Nishiki you had grown to love. He pulled away from your face and looked back up to you. His smiled the sweetest smile you had ever seen from him. Your eyes were open wide. Your face was hot and blushing. You didn't know how to feel about what just happened. Your feelings for Nishiki had now turned upside-down. Did you like him more than just a friend? Did you want to be more than friends? The silence was finally broken when Nishiki quietly laughed.

"So, do you want a coffee as well?"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, that was my first one-shot! Hopefully it wasn't too bad. I hope it wasn't too long either (lmao) because I'm guessing you're reading this on a mobile device, which has pages. If not, I hope it's not too wordy in general! I hope you liked this!

~ spicynishiki

(if you want, you can vote for this story! Only if you want, though :D)