Lens (Juuzou)

Leaves crumbled under your foot as you wandered through the zoo. The caged animals desperately looked out to you, their eyes following yours. Some wanted food, some wanted freedom. Your camera swung against your stomach as you continued on the path.

You had recently found a new muse in your photography through the life of animals. You had always adored them since birth and had studied them for years. Now you had been able to afford a camera, you could now capture their lives. You loved that they were so curious about the lens, their reflection seen through it. Animals wouldn't pose for the camera, so their true nature could be seen in every snap. The same couldn't be said for people. Sometimes you wondered, could you survive in the wilderness away from society?

The zoo was quite empty, other than the odd family or person, due to the time of morning- which gave you a lot of time to just slowly stroll. Whilst walking, you turned to a forked sign.

<- GIRAFFES     ELEPHANTS ->

You stood at the sign, looking at it and thinking heavily. Which did you want to see more? Years seemed to pass. Giraffes. Spotty, yellow, tall. Elephants. Grey, tusked, huge. Long necks. Trunks. You thought of every trait of both animals until you decided. Giraffes. You turned to the left, and began to walk slightly quicker.

The path was short, and you could see the giraffes in the near distance. You reached them, and saw a person sat down on the path. From behind, you could see he had shoulder length white hair, a white shirt and blue braces covered their back. You had taken note of all of this, but what caught your eye was his arms. Red lines covered them, from the sleeve to the hand. You thought they could be marks, but they seemed more... attached?

You noticed he had a sketchbook in his lap. You shifted slightly closer to see. A bright array of colours overflowed the paper, crayons rolled across the floor. He seemed to be around the same age as you - but judging from the drawing- maybe younger. A giraffe was looking down at him, and he was looking back up. You put your hand on your camera. In the same minute, a small cat had ran up to him, sitting next to him. He looked down at the cat, and began to pet it. Now was the perfect moment. The person was encircled in nature, and everything had seemed to stop around them. You readied your camera, and bent down slightly. The giraffe in the corner, the boy in the center with the cat. It was the perfect painted picture in front of you. You pressed the button, and a loud click was heard. The cat jumped at the sudden sound, and ran off. You gasped as the person turned around, looking at you.

"The cat ran away..." He whispered to himself. He had a fairly feminine voice. You looked at him, your camera in the same position. "What are you doing?"

"I..." You trailed off. You quickly stood up, apologising. "I'm sorry. I just-"

"Are you taking a picture of me?"

"No! Well...yes. B-but not like that! I thought it was just nice that you were so...intriguing to the animals."

The boy continued to stare at you, his head slightly tilted like a puppy. He stood up, dropping the sketchbook onto the floor. You shook faintly as he walked up to you, his eyes glued to yours. You gripped the camera in your hand. He looked down at it, thinking.

"What's your name?"

"I-I" You stuttered. The strange ambience surrounding him made you feel somewhat uneasy. "Y/N."

"Y/N..." He trailed off. "Can I see that photo?" He didn't look at you once, his focus was fixated on the camera that was almost in pieces from your tight hold. You nodded in fear, loading the picture. You steadily showed it to him. He bent down, looking at it, as if he was studying it. He mouth was open slightly as he looked at it.