Memories (Ayato)

"Don't worry, my dears. I'm sure he will return, but for now, stay here with us."

"..."

"Yes, we have a spare room upstairs next to Y/N's room."

You walked up to them, holding their hands.

"We're here together! You two are now my siblings!" They smiled at your comment.

"..."

"..."

~~

Allowing the stars to light your path, you walked through the back-alleys of Tokyo. You would often find yourself walking these routes, as they were fortunately the unknown shortcuts of the city. However, because of how little they were used streetlights were a rarity seen in them.

You kicked your boots into all the puddles reflecting the night sky as you aimlessly trudged around. The biting water splashed onto your legs- but you didn't care. As it got later, it got colder. You pulled up your red woolen scarf to cover your face- the scent of a blotted out childhood still lingering through the threads. Despite the coverage, you could still see your breath floating away.

You had no plan to go anywhere- this night and every night. After leaving school, you quickly realised you had no ambitions for life. All of your friends had abandoned you to follow their own dreams, and you sometimes wished you could tag along. Following somebody still meant going somewhere. The light at the end of your tunnel had yet to be lit. Your only 'goal' was to live, and on some days even that seemed impossible.

Your stomach growled with emptiness from the lack of food you had ate. Although you were a ghoul who would regularly eat, you lacked the desire to be bothered to hunt. Still, it had only been a couple of weeks since your last meal.

The end of an alley was in your sights. You continued to walk out and were soon stood in a desolate city street. Cars didn't drive around. The constant conversations were absent. Street lamps flickered light at stone floors. All life in Tokyo had seemed to cease at such a time.

Taking this opportunity, you decided to finally listen to your stomach and hunt down anybody that was out. Anybody would do. Your hand reached into your pocket and pulled out a silver phone. Dozens of ageing phone charms swung against you hand as you turned the device on. The tune of the starting music sent nostalgia rippling through your body whilst you waited. Finally, the lock-screen appeared. It was the default picture that you get when you buy the phone 6 years ago, and you hadn't changed it in years. You checked the battery, and saw that it was clinging on for dear life at 11%. You decided to keep it on in case of a miraculous phone call.

You continued your idle journey around the desolated streets of the city. Despite Tokyo being big, you had managed to memorize most of it- the streets, the alleys, the parks. As you walked, a sweet scent crept through your scarf and into your nose. It instantly caught your attention. That smell. Your stomach growled at the satisfaction, it yearned it for it. You began to follow it, your mouth beginning to water.

Walking. Running. Sprinting. You longed to know where it was coming from. You hadn't felt this desperate for a meal for so long. It had began to possess your thoughts; it was all you could think of. Your feet moved involuntarily to the source.

It was there. A silhouette was seen in the middle of the pavement meters away from you. Red liquid was oozing from it. You eyes widened at the body and scent. However, it wasn't just you eyeing it. Another body was crouching over it, looking down. You breathed in deeply. You could see clearly their kagune was out- a fiery red and blue ukaku. Your bikaku was no match for it.