Chapter Six

"Things have been strange for you this morning, havnt they?" The boy continued. "Everything's confusing and crazy. And you don't understand whats happening to you. I know what you're feeling, I've been through it too. It's hard at first, and dangerous if you don't know what you're doing. We're here to help you."

  Emma felt the vines begin to recede as her fear of the men dissapated. What was wrong with her. She had been ready to tear these men limb from limb. And they had done nothing to her. Had not acted violently, and made no move to hurt her. True they had cornered her in an alley after freaking her out. But she had never been a violent person. And yet she had been so ready to kill them.

  "What do you want from me" she  asked, still unsure whether to trust them.

  "We want to help, to teach you who you are" he said.

  Emma knew that it couldn't be as easy as that. But she decided not to push it.

  "We need to go somewhere safe to talk" said the older man who had pretended to be a jerk in the diner. "It is dangerous to be out in the open like this. Ethan, take care of those security cameras"

  She saw the boy who had been talking her down step towards the wall, his movement's slow and his plams still facing up to make sure she knew his intentions were peaceful.
  Ethan slowly raised his hand, pointing his palm at a camera hanging from the outer wall off the diner. And to Emma's astonishment a flicker of fire appeared in his palm. It quickly grew, as a gout of flame hit the camera. Within seconds it was nothing but a pool of smouldering plastic dripping down the wall.

  She started at Ethan. Amazed by the flame. And then looked down at her own palm. Wondering if she could do the same.

  She held it out tentatively, focusing. Willing fire to appear.

  She screamed and jumped back when a huge pillar of fire jumped up from her hand.

  She looked up at Ethan, and saw confusion covering his face for a spilt second before he masked it. Sending the older man a quick look that Emma couldn't decipher.

  The older man stepped forward, he seemed to have a air of authority. 
"Easy now. Ya don't want to burn down the neighborhood." He said. "My name is Daniel, and this as you already have heard, is Ethan. Now we really must move to safer quarters. Will you please come with us." He  said, pointing out of the alley way to a sleek back car.

  "Oh yes," Emma said. "I'm gonna go and get in the car, with the nice men who said please. And can make fire jump from their hands. No way this ends with me cut into a million pieces, spread across town."

  She heard Ethan laugh, it made a slight smile cross her face.

  "I know you have no reason to trust us, but listen. After that show with the fire and the vines, the very last thing we want to do is get in a closed space with you and then hurt you. And if you wanted to get away there's nothing we could do to stop you. We don't have to go very far. We have a safe house near here"

  Emma stared at him, every part of her telling to listen to the rules that said "do not get in the car with the stranger."  But she had been alone in her life for so long, and now finally she found her kind. She needed help, because the dark thing inside her threatened to overcome her. She needed knowledge. And she had spent her life fighting. If she needed to she could protect herself. So she nodded, "Ok then, I'll go with you. But trust me, you don't want to mess with me today"

  Ethan laughed again, saying "No, no we don't. As they headed to the car.