Chapter Twelve

Emma looked up at Ethan, her body trembling in fear, fear of what she had almost done, fear of what would have happened if he hadn't have stopped her.

  Ethan looked at her with a silent question, his eyes asking her if she was alright. She nodded at him, although it wasn't completely true, she wasn't fine. But she wasn't top priority right now. They were

  The wounded, their moans filled the clearing. The sliver running through their blood poisoning them, creating unimaginable pain. A few, if the wounds were not too bad, or near anything vital, could survive the sliver. But for many the wounds were too severe, and too much of the poison ran through their veins.

  Ethan stood, turning and scanning the area as the ones who weren't wounded ran to the aid of those who were.

  Emma saw Ethan's gaze freeze, his face going pale as he bolted towards one of the wounded. She turned to see what had made him go pale, and saw a large crumpled figure on the ground, his salt and pepper hair familiar.

Daniel..

  She leapt to her feet to follow Ethan, who fell to his knees beside the alpha, she paused, hovering a few feet away, knowing this moment was not hers to ruin.

  Ethan pulled the larger man close, pulling his head into his lap, he was still alive, but barely. There was a gaping hole in his chest, and Emma could almost feel the silver running through his veins.

  Tears ran down Ethan's face as he whispered Daniel's name, the alpha's eyes flickering open, but he was to far gone to answer. She heard Ethan whisper "no, not you too."

  Tears now ran down Emma's face, as she looked around at all the wounded. This was all her fault, they were dying because of her. Why had they done this?

  Emma looked back at Ethan as something began to whisper to her.

  You can fix this..

  A different presence then the one that had taken over her during the battle, the part of her that had kept the darkness from taking complete control, that had forced her to fight it. It began to flow through her body, forcing her forward to Daniel's side.

  She knelt beside him, her hand lifting  on its own volition, coming to rest on Daniel's wound.

  She closed her eyes as power began to pulse through her body, billowing out to her fingertips, and into the wound, searching for the silver, and drawing it out.

  She felt a searing pain, like fire begin to flow into her hand, as the sliver began to drew out into her palm.

  When she was sure that all the sliver was out, she pulled her hand back, looking down at her pain to see a tiny ball of pure silver. She looked down to see Daniel's wound healing over, the color beginning to return to his body.

  She heard Ethan speaking, but her mind ignored him as she stood and walked to to center of the clearing, the light presence guiding her, it spoke to her, telling her that accomplishing what she wanted to could very well kill her, but she didn't care, she had to try to save them.

  She knelt, placing her fingertips on the ground on either side of her, tiny vines reaching up and curling tightly around her fingers.

  Power began to flow through her body again, but what before had been a trickle, was now a rushing river. She closed her eyes as she visualized the energy within her focusing and losing herself in it, her body seeming far away, like a distant memory, she gained control of the energy, sending it out, flowing out from her like vines.

                      *                 *                *

Ethan watched in amazement as Emma drew the sliver from Daniel's wound, he had never know that was possible.

  "How did you do that?" He asked, his mind still trying to compute what had just happened. Daniel's wound was already healing, life returning to his body.

  He looked up to see Emma get up, turning and walking away silently.

  "Wait, where are you going?" He asked, but she seemed not to hear him.

  Daniel began to struggle to get up, "we have to stop her." He said weakly. "If she uses her power too much after acquiring it so soon, she could kill herself. She has already strained herself enough in the battle, we can't let her do this." 

  Ethan nodded, understanding now what she was going to do. She was going to try to heal all of the wounded. The power inside her had to know how dangerous it was, and yet she was was going to do it anyway.

  He ran forward to stop her, but it was too late.

  An orb of energy exploded around her, blowing him back as he ran to stop her. It branched out, billowing and swirling through the air like vines made of light, they reached out, wrapping around the wounded.

  Ethan got up, trying to run to her, to stop her, but the energy around her pushed him back, keeping him away from her.

  He saw her body go tense, her back arching as the energy began its work, tendrils of sliver leaving the wounded Myths bodies, traveling on streams of energy back to Emma. He heard her let out a strangled cry of pain.

  He struggled in vain against the energy keeping her from him, realizing desperately that he wasn't ready to lose her, he hardly knew her, but he couldn't bear the thought of losing her.

             *                      *                         *
  Emma felt the silver leaving the wounded's bodies, being pulled back to her, begining to pool at her palms.

  She felt the pain start at her hands, turning to agony as it began to flow through her body like liquid flames. Her body cried out for her to stop, but she couldn't, she had to do this.

  The pain ramped up as more silver accumulated, she could hear someone screaming in the distance, vaguely realizing it was her.

  And then, after what seemed like an eternity, she was done, it was over, The power flowed back to her body.

  She opened her eyes, to see Ethan running to her, she then looked down at her hands, seeing two large spheres of sliver under her palms, it was then she realized she couldn't breathe.

She slumped to the ground struggling in vain to breathe, to make her heart beat, to do anything as darkness took her.