seven

Monday, I walked into school with my head low. I hadn't tried to look professional this morning. I wore black slacks and a simple grey v-neck t-shirt, but I had to wear my usual black heels to maintain any sense of confidence I had over these kids. I had mascara on and concealer under my eyes to hide the dark circles. I was a mess honestly. My hair had dried in its natural waves and I hadn't been bothered to do so much as to brush it to go into work.
I met up with Victoria at the front of the school and we walked in together.
"You look bad, ma. What happened?" She asked.
I shrugged my shoulders, avoiding eye contact.
"Emily, you can talk to me." She pushed.
"I'm just not feeling well." I shrugged again.
I understand that I moved on to messing with Alaina way too soon after Taylor, but I wasn't ready to be alone. I'm still not. I like Alaina so much more than I anticipated. I needed to feel attached to someone and now that two of the only people I ever felt anything for are both gone, I'm left feeling empty.
"You should've called in, love." She rubbed my bare arm and pressed her lips together in a smile.
"No, I hate missing school. I'll feel better once I get going." I nodded.
"If you need anything, you know where I'll be." She stopped by the dance room.
"Thanks!" I called before continuing on my way to my room.
When I rounded the corner, I saw the figure of a girl standing at my door, and I knew that I only wanted it to be her, but everything in me told me I was wrong. I kept on my way and soon the girl turned around and I saw the face of Gabrielle White, the girl who sat four chairs in front of Alaina. Stop thinking about her. I unlocked the door and flashed Gabrielle a sweet smile before opening the door for her.
"Thank you." She smiled and stepped into my room.
"What can I do for ya, Gabi?" I asked her once she was walking toward her desk.
"I'm doing good in class right now and I just want to know why I've always been tied with Alaina Haslen and now she has a 100 and I have a 97. What's going on? I know you two are close, but are you giving her special treatment?" Gabi said in one breath.
My eyes locked with hers when she mentioned Alaina and I felt my heart start to split down the middle.
"No, I would never give anyone special treatment no matter who they were. I don't know what's going on, let's look at your quizzes." I disregarded the mention of Alaina's name and I quickly fumbled through my bag that held all of my graded papers.
"Pull out Alaina's too, I want to see her answers compared to mine." She demanded.
"I can't do that, Gabi. I can't discuss a students grades with anyone else without their permission." I shook my head.
"I won't tell on you. I just want to know what she does that's better than me." Gabi whined.
"You can ask her about it, but I'm legally not allowed to show you her grades." I stood my ground.
I flipped a couple of her quizzes toward her and held one in my hands to examine it. She had only made less than a 90 on one of the three and made a 98 on the other two.
"You have all of the work right, you just skipped a step before calculating the answer. I'm not sure how you were able to get an answer like that, but that's all. I can show you what you did." I suggested.
"No that's okay, I'll figure it out. Thanks." She said coldly.
"Are you sure? It might help on the test." I tried.
"I'm sure. I'll be talking to Principle Anderson about this." She spat.
"What? Why?" I asked while my heart rate quickened.
"This is unfair treatment!" She practically yelled at me.

"What's unfair here, Gabi?" I asked.

"There's no way if I made a eighty-seven on that quiz that Alaina made a hundred." She accused.

"Gabi, don't be ridiculous. We can work on it. I can't offer make up quizzes, but you can come in and we can have tutorials before the test." I offered.

"Yeah, no thanks. I don't roll that way, Ms. Parker." She said harshly.

"What are you talking about?" I asked.

"Oh please, don't act like you don't know everyone in this school knows you're gay." She shook her head.

"That has absolutely nothing to do with my teaching." I was growing more and more offended by the second.

"Maybe Alaina is gay too, that would explain why she's getting special treatment... or even better, it explains why you two are so close." She tried to give herself an explanation.

"Gabrielle, my sexuality has zero effect on my job. I do not and will not tolerate such accusations. You can take this up with whoever you want, just be sure to leave out my sexuality, because that is none of yours nor their business." I said strictly.

"Yeah whatever, we'll see when Principle Anderson has to say." She smirked and walked out of the room.

Not only did I have to now worry about her finding something on me and Alaina's short lived affair, but she now thinks I gave her special treatment for being gay. I need to warn Alaina before Gabi gets to her first. Just as if the gods were on my side, the all too familiar brown hair bounced into the doorway.

She looked at me and quickly looked away before sitting in the desk closest to the door. My heart tightened at the distance she has chosen to create, but I kept myself professional and called out to her, "Hey Alaina, I have your quiz back if you want to take a look at it."

She silently stood and swayed her hips as she walked over to me. Everything in me was completely still as she neared me from fear of doing something inappropriate while we were alone.

"I made a hundred." She said as soon as she reached me.

"How are you so sure?" I asked.

"Did I?" She asked.

"Well yes." I said.

"Okay then." She stated and began to turn to walk, but I reached across the table, grabbing the base of her hand in a failed attempt at grabbing her forearm.

Her eyes followed my hand all the way up to my eyes before I dropped her hand and looked down feeling sad from the lack of her touch.

"Gabi's suspicious." I said softly.

"Of?" She asked coldly.

"Us." I stated simply.

"There is no us." She whispered.

"You know what I mean." I met her whisper and looked at the open door, watching carefully.

"I'm not following." She shook her head.

"God Alaina, please just for once talk about this." I practically begged.

"Oh like you talked about your ex or how you talked about dumping me?" She asked obviously hurt.

"Alaina, I'm sorry, but Gabi is the issue at hand right now." I disregarded her statements.

"Good thing there's nothing to worry about." She gave me a cold smile before retreating to her desk, but before I could protest, another student walked in. Now I had to suffer this entire class without being on good terms with Alaina and even though I should be mad at her, my heart was tight in my chest. She wouldn't even look at me while I taught. I'm not sure she could even repeat a word I said. Gabi however, was watching my every move and would raise her eyebrows at me anytime I neared Alaina.