twenty six

"Laina." I heard distantly.
I rolled my head over and then I heard "Baby, wake up." Then felt someone shaking my leg.
"Hmmm." I sounded, groggily.
"Come on, let's go sleep in a bed." I recognized Emily's voice.
"Do I need to move her for you?" I heard a deeper voice appear and I jumped awake.
"Nope, she's up now." Emily smiled at me.
It was pitch black outside and my passenger door was wide open.
I saw a tall male figure walking away with all of the bags from the trunk. I sat up, squinting, and slipped on the Birkenstocks that were laid at my feet. I was in a daze. I looked over to Emily and she held a hand out to me. I grabbed it and she pulled me out of the car. I leaned against her, my arm around her waist and walked with her into the house. It was dark inside.
"You'll get to meet everyone tomorrow." She whispered as she led me up the stairs, then into a bedroom.
I stood from her and moved around the bed. It's smaller than the one at her apartment.
"This is my old bedroom, so you can't snoop." She joked.
"Oh, I'm snooping if that's the case." I played back.
I knew I was going to regret not showering, brushing my teeth, washing my face, or even brushing my hair, but I am too exhausted to care right now. I pulled back the covers and slid in.
I heard Emily rummage through her suitcase and leave the room, then I heard her return and zip the suitcase back up. I opened my left eye and saw her figure standing by the bed. She lifted the covers and quickly laid down, turning to face me, and throwing the blanket over herself.
"Goodnight." I smiled sleepily.
"I'm so happy you're here. Goodnight." She said before kissing the tip of my nose.
I pulled her closer to me and she quickly adjusted.
I felt her breath against my chest. I had no trouble falling back to sleep.
-
I opened my eyes and saw an empty bed. I quickly sat up and looked around. I saw my bag and Emily's bag, so I at least know I'm still where I'm supposed to be. The room was pretty big, considering it was one girl living in it. I looked around from where I sat, noticing many pictures displayed everywhere. I saw no sign of Emily now. The Emily that lived here was messy and goofy. I looked over to the bedside table and saw a framed picture of Emily in what looks like a prom dress and a tall and wide man. Her dad?
I don't want to explore the room without her or go search for her in this house. I don't know how many people are here and I have no idea how to get around.
"I'm about to go check on her." I heard my favorite voice.
I saw the knob turn and Emily appeared. She was dressed for the day already.
"What time is it?" I asked.
"Good morning to you too." She played.
"Good morning." I rolled my eyes playfully, then repeated "What time is it?"
"It's only ten, relax." She smiled as she neared me.
I nodded to myself.
She crawled into the bed over me and laid me back down, settling on top of me.
She kissed my neck, up my jaw, my cheek, the corner of my mouth, my nose, my chin, and finally my lips. I held her kiss a little longer than usual.
"Mm good morning." She hummed against my lips.
I rubbed my face with my hand and rolled us over. I laid my head on her chest.
"What do you have planned today?" I asked.
"Well, we have a party to go to later on, but until then, we really have the day to ourselves. I do want to spend some time with my family though." She gave me the agenda.
"Of course. I'm not here to take you away from them." I defended.
"No, I know. I was just saying it as a warning. They can be a bit much sometimes." She sighed.
"Do they know- anything?" I asked.
"About me? Or about us?" She asked.
"Either." I clarified.
"Me, yes. Us, no. I don't have the guts to tell them yet." She rolled her head to look at me.
I nodded and rolled on to my back.
"I'm not embarrassed of us, it's just- it's a hard circumstance we're in." She explained.
"I know." I nodded.
She leaned towards me and kissed my jaw, squeezing me against her body.
"I need to shower." I said before sitting up.
"Lainey." She said, sitting up on her knees.
"What?" I asked, facing her.
"I'm really not embarrassed." She said again.
"I know, Em. I'm just nervous to meet your family." I slightly laughed. I kneeled on one knee right in front of her, my other leg still over the side of the bed, then kissed her. She held my face and placed a few more kisses against my lips.
A knock at the door separated us. I flew to my bag on the floor and she sat down on the bed.
"Sorry to interrupt, but Leslie is here with the kids." A woman peeked her head in and spoke to Emily.
"I'll be right there." Emily answered.
The woman left and I looked to her silently questioning what just happened.
"Leslie is my cousin who basically disowned us two Christmases ago and refused to let us see her kids. Apparently, she's here." Emily shrugged and stood.
She came over to me and squatted.
"I'll have my phone if you want to text me to come back after you shower, if not, just come downstairs. Bathroom is right through that door." She smiled.
I nodded nervously.
She pecked my lips one last time and exited the room.
There were a lot of voices in this house. Why did I agree to coming? I thought it was going to be a small event.
I gathered my change of clothes and went to the restroom. Towel. I set my stuff on the counter and began poking around the cabinets to find a towel. I took a yellow one in a stack of folded towels.
I locked the door I came from and the door across the room as well, then started the water.
It was a fairly quick shower, only about 10 minutes. When I got out, I heard movement from the room we slept in.
I wrapped the towel around my body and stepped out.
There was a knock on the door.
I didn't call out that I was in here. I didn't know who it would be.
"Lain, it's me." Emily knocked again.
I opened the door and she walked in.
She slid on to the counter and smiled at me.
"Sooo- I need to talk to you." She showed her teeth.
"About?" I asked nervously.
She picked up my underwear and tossed them at me.
"My ex is here." She said while watching me.
"Like... Taylor?" I asked.
"No no, a guy I dated in high school. He and my dad were really close and he's pretty touchy. I just wanted to y'know warn you, since you can't exactly claw his throat out here." She looked down.
I nodded and proceeded to get dressed.
I heard her hop off the counter as I pulled up my jeans, but then I felt her hands on my hips. I turned to face her and smiled.
"You make me so happy." She smiled.
My smile grew ten times bigger. She makes my heart skip beats.
"You make me happy too." I said back to her.
She leaned in and gently kissed me.
"I cannot wait to be able to tell the whole world that you're mine." She said between kisses.
I pulled away and giggled, wiping my mouth. I threw on my bra and the nicer blousy type shirt. It's not fancy, also not a t-shirt.
"They're going to love you." She helped me do my hair. Most of my hair was down, but she took the top section and three-strand braided it for a half-up half-down look. I pulled out the smaller stray hairs to help shape my face better.
"Thank you." I smiled at her through the mirror.
She wrapped her arms around my waist and rested her head on my shoulder. I picked up my phone and held it up, snapping a picture. She looks so cuddly.
She kissed my shoulder, then said "Let's go meet everyone."
Her smile was bright. I pushed my phone into my back pocket and grabbed the hand that was held out for me.
She opened the bedroom door and I took a deep breath, following her into the hallway, her hand left mine, and we walked toward the stairs.