eight

I sat on my bed with Moose curled up by my leg, thinking only about Emily. I can't shake her from my thoughts no matter how much I wanted to. I know I can't go crawling back now, I've been so cold toward her. I won't even look at her, because I know she's my weak spot.
I lightly scratched at the top of Moose's head, resulting in him purring before I stood and went to my bathroom to take a shower.
I blasted my music from a Bluetooth speaker that sits on my counter and stood in the hot water. I'd been done thirty minutes ago, but I stare at the tiled wall, motionless.
A knock sounded on the door and my moms voice announced "Someone's here to see you, Lain. Better hurry!"
I looked in the direction of the door, of course my shower curtain was in the way, but I wondered who it could be.
I turn and shut off the water, instantly missing the comforting warmth and wrapped a large black towel around my body. I walked out of my bathroom to quickly dress myself as Moose tried to lick the water from my legs and stumbled over him as we both headed out of my room.
I rounded the corner to my living room and then laid eyes on my sister.
"Andy!" I yelled excitedly as I ran to her.
"Hey." She laughed and caught me in her arms. I nearly took her and the chair she was sitting in down when I jumped on her.
"How is New York?" I asked.
"Amazing. I can't wait to tell you all about it! But mom asked me to come home so we could talk to you." She said softly, petting my hair.
"About what?" I asked.
"Your hair is getting so beautiful, Ana." Andy smiled, twirling the ends of my hair in her hands. Everyone in my family has always called me Lainey or Lain, but Andy never liked that so she called me Ana since I was a toddler. And likewise, I'm the only one to call her Andy, everyone else calls her Rey. Mom hates our nicknames for each other, but I love them.
"What's going on?" I asked reverting back to the previous subject.
"Andrea is going to be staying with you for a little bit while I go to the hospital." Mom said.
"Why? You go to the hospital everyday and I've taken care of myself?" I questioned.
"No, Lain. I'm going into the hospital. I'm being treated." She said.
"What? For what?" I asked.
"I'm sick, Lain." She spoke sadly.
"What do you mean sick?" I asked.
"Mom has cancer." Andy spoke from behind me.
My heart stopped. My chest tightened. I couldn't breathe. My eyes filled with tears. I was frozen.
"Oh Lainey, it's not that serious." Mom tried to make light of the situation.
"Not that serious? Mom." I choked out before I stood and buried myself in her body. The strongest woman I ever knew was sick. Her body was eating itself alive and she was leaving me.
"They want to monitor me for a little bit to see what we're fighting." She spoke softly.
I pushed myself further into her, finally letting myself cry.
"How could this happen?" I cried.
"Well, you know it runs in the family." She choked.
"What kind is it?" I asked.
"Breast, but they think it may be spreading." She whispered.
"Oh god." I yelled against her shoulder.
"I'm so sorry I didn't tell you before, Lain. I didn't know how to. You've been walking around here like a zombie I didn't want to make whatever was going on worse." She started to explain herself.
"No, none of that matters anymore. You just need to get better. I need you." I pulled away to look into her red and puffy eyes.
She nodded and leaned forward to kiss my forehead.
"When do you go in?" I asked.
"Tomorrow." She said.
I nodded and leaned my head back on her shoulder, scared to let her go.
"I'm going to be okay." She pulled me tighter to her.
"I hope so." I squeezed my eyes shut. Then I remembered my brother. He's always been the closest to our mom, so I doubt he knows anything otherwise he'd already be here.
"What about Bubba?" I asked.
"Mom wanted to wait and see how you took it to see how to tell him." Andy said.
"But he needs to know." I said turning toward her.
"I know. He's coming over later. Mom doesn't want to take him from his kids." She said.
"How are you so okay and calm about this. Andy, mom is sick!" I emphasized.
"Because I know she has the best team behind her and I have faith that she's going to get better." She assured me.
I just shook my head. She always talked about God like he was some huge miracle worker, but I wasn't buying it. If God was real, he wouldn't let so many people suffer so terribly. There wouldn't be cancer and illness.
"Lainey, I'll be just fine." Mom said before pressing her lips to my temple.
I snuggled into her again, her arms wrapped tightly around my waist and shoulders.
-
"Bradley!" Andy exclaimed before standing and greeting our brother.
"Oh I see someone has risen from the dead." He joked before taking her in a big hug.
"And my favorite little sister." He said, turning toward me.
I smiled and stood from my spot next to mom and went into his arms.
"How are the girls?" I asked.
"They're good. They have actually been asking for you a lot." He said.
"Really?" I asked smiling.
"You are their favorite aunt." He joked which resulted in a punch from Andy.
I laughed lightly, remembering why everyone is here in the first place. Mom.
"Hey baby." Mom finally greeted him.
"Hey mama." He smiled and took our petite mother into his large arms.
"I need to tell you something." Mom put her hands on his arms and pulled away, looking Brad in the eye.
I don't think I can listen to this again, so I excused myself to my room.
I knew Andy would come to check in on me soon, so I packed a bag of clothes quickly and made sure Moose would be fine for the night. I changed into decent clothes to wear in public and quietly walked to the front door before leaving the apartment with my car keys in hand. I didn't know where I was going, but I knew who I wanted to go to and that wasn't going to work. I drove and drove until I ended up outside of a familiar house, but who I wanted wasn't in there.