nine

I softly knocked on the door not feeling confident in my decision of not running to one of my friends instead. Within a few moments, my dad opened the door and immediately smiled.
"Hey, Lainey!" He greeted me.
"Hi, dad." I accepted the hug he initiated.
"Rey called and said you might be heading here." He announced.
"Don't tell her I'm here. I just need to clear my head." I said.
"Not even your mom?" He asked.
"No. I don't want them knowing I'm here. I need space." I shook my head.
"How long?" He asked.
"I'm not sure. Can I crash here?" I asked uncertainly.
"Of course. I won't tell them until you tell me I can." He pulled me into his place.
I kicked my converse off out of habit and looked around the familiar living room, getting flashbacks from when I was younger.
"Your room is still untouched." He said.
"Cool. Thanks." I nodded and headed down the hall to where my old bedroom used to be.
I set my stuff in the pink room and breathed in the scent of artificial strawberries from my childhood toys and things. I smiled to myself and opened my bag to pull out an outfit to wear to the club. I didn't plan on dancing, but I needed to drink if I was going to be able to be okay with my mom leaving me.
I told my dad I was going to go pick up a few things from my friends house and he didn't question me. I drove down to the club and looked at the long line of people, but as I neared the door I saw Rick was the bouncer once again and I smiled at him before he let me in.
I headed straight to the bar and sat on a stool before being greeted and telling the bartender my drink order.
"So what's a pretty lady like yourself doing alone on a Saturday night?" He asked.
"Getting blasted." I answered honestly.
"Good answer. I'll be right back with your drink." He winked at me and walked away.
3 drinks later and I was feeling it.
"Why don't you take a break here and go see what the woman over there wants, because she's been watching you all night." He pulled the empty glass out of my hand.
I turned over my left shoulder to see none other than Emily Parker.
I rolled my eyes and said "No I'm okay. Can I get another?"
"How about some water?" He offered.
"Fine." I accepted.
"Heads up." He nodded his head behind me.
As I turned I met Emily's chest that was covered by her red blouse, letting my eyes linger for a moment then travel up to her eyes.
"What are you doing here?" She asked.
The bartender set a glass of water in front of me before sending me apologetic eyes and tending to other guests.
"Alaina, what are you doing here again?" She spoke louder.
"Drinking!" I yelled turning toward her.
"Yeah, I see that. You know you can't be here." She said, beginning to pull me off of the stool.
"Stop." I demanded, holding on to the bar.
"Alaina, you need to leave. There is a cop here tonight." She slumped her body on me.
"You want to take me home then? I'm too drunk to drive home myself." I asked harshly.
"You know I can't." She declined.
"Okay then leave me alone, Emily." I spat.
She seemed to weigh her options before lifting my arm and lifting me to her.
"God, how much did you drink?" She asked.
"Only three." I answered honestly.
"Only?" She asked before continuing, "You can only handle three at best."
"More like six, but okay." I sounded.
"I was here with someone." She groaned.
"No one told you to leave her." I pointed out.
"Well, he told me to." She emphasized.
"Because you were staring at me all night." I argued.
"Because you're my eighteen year old student sitting at a bar." She came back.
I stayed quiet, letting her get the last word in. She's right. I shouldn't be here. I should be home with my mom, but I ran from that. I ran from her.
I leaned into her, finally realizing where I should be. Why am I so stupid?
"You okay?" She asked, struggling to keep me upright.
"I need to go home." I choked out with a weird cough sound that indicated my tears to start.
"Alaina, what's going on?" Her voice grew worried.
"Nothing. Just take me home, please." I requested.
"You're going to go to your mom in this state?" She questioned.
Realization set in. I'd been drinking. I can't go home like this.
I shook my head slowly and looked around the area, noticing we had made it to her car.
She opened the passenger side door and let me slide in. I buckled my own seat belt as she went around to the other side and stared at the road ahead of us.
"Do you have anywhere to go?" She asked.
I nodded and said "Turn right up there at the light, and it'll be on the second street on the right."
"Who's house is this?" She asked.
"Why do you care?" I spat.
"I care about you, Lainey. Just because I can't see you doesn't mean I don't care. I care a lot actually." She answered quickly.
"Whatever." I dismissed her.
"What do you mean whatever? Isn't that what you want to hear? That I care for you?" She was confused.
"It would be if it was the truth." I admitted.
"That was the truth! God dammit. I care about you and your safety. Please just see that." She raised her voice at me.
That shut me up. I sunk in my seat, tightly pressing my hands together between my thighs.
When she pulled up to the house, I looked at it briefly knowing I didn't want to leave her presence.
"Thank you." I whispered.
"You're welcome." She nodded.
"No, I mean for caring. Thank you. It means a lot to me." I reiterated.
"Of course." She smiled this time.
I quietly exited the car and shut the door as softly as possible. I took my shoes off and walked towards the front door of my old house. It was just three years ago that I was sneaking back in to this place.
I didn't hear tires roll away, so I assumed that Emily didn't want to leave until I was inside. I reached the door and turned the knob with ease. I slipped inside and quietly shut the door before watching the black car disappear shortly after. I sighed and attempted to make a beeline for my room, but I was stopped by my dad's four year old daughter.
"Daddy was mad at you." She pointed at me from the hallway where her room was located.
"Sh, Lia!" I whispered harshly.
"Daddy!" The brat yelled.
My father responded very quickly to the child, appearing in his doorway with his arms crossed.
"Do you have any idea what time it is?" He asked.
"It's barely midnight." I said matter-of-factly.
"You're just a kid. Where did you go?" He asked.
"I'm eighteen. I went out alright?" I defended myself.
"No not alright. You need to abide by my rules if you're going to be staying here." He said angrily.
"I'm just sleeping here. I would never stay here" I spat at him.
He came towards me, anger evident in his eyes and raised his hand as if to slap me, but the voice of the other woman pulled him back.
"Kevin, what's going on?" Rebecca sounded.
"Just Alaina." He collected himself, staring at me.
My heart was racing. He almost hit me.
"Just Alaina." I repeated.
"Hon, there's some fresh clothes and a toothbrush in the bathroom for you if you didn't bring any." She offered, completely missing what just happened.
"Thank you." I accepted.
"Daddy, can you find Froggy for me?" Lia asked my father.
"Sure, sweet pea." He turned from me, before saying "we're talking about this tomorrow."
I looked at Rebecca before heading to my room. I sat on the edge of my bed, wanting nothing more than to be home with my mom or with Emily. I can't stay here.