★ | 003. pack mentality

Book: Heartbreaker
Chapter 3: Pack Mentality
Word Count: 5147

Book: HeartbreakerChapter 3: Pack Mentality Word Count: 5147

Happiness, ecstatic, great. Those were just three words to describe how Jace was feeling. The smile on his face hadn't left because of one, Scott McCall. He had stayed up most of the night talking to him on the phone. They never ran out of things to say to each other. There was never an awkward silence because when one of them finished talking the other would start. He walked out of his room and downstairs, towards the kitchen. A hop in his step. Once he reached the kitchen, he saw his Mom standing there with a cup of coffee. Another cup sat on the table and he grabbed it, taking a sip. "Good morning, my lovely mother. This coffee is delicious. Thank you."

Miranda looked him her suspiciously, putting the cup of coffee to the side. "You're in a good mood this morning."

"You know what I am." He answered, grinning wildly and resting his chin on his hand. "The sun is shining, birds are chirping and I've had the best sleep in my life."

"Mmm-hmm." His Mom mumbled before taking a seat next to him. "Funny because I could've sworn I heard you talking to someone at one am this morning."

He shrugged sheepishly. "Sorry. I didn't mean to wake you. It's just Scott is a really good conversationalist."

"So, it was Scott you were talking to." Miranda said, with disapproval in her voice. Still not liking the boy she had caught with her son. "You like this boy, don't you?"

He nodded. "Yeah, I do. Look, I know the way you two met wasn't the best but he's a really great guy and I really do like him. Could you please give him a chance? For your favourite and only son. Please."

Miranda sighed, looking away from the puppy dog look that he was giving her for the second day in a row. "Okay, I'll give him another chance and only one. If he so much as steps one toe out of line--"

"I get it, I get it. You'll throw him out of the house. Trust me, I remember the last time." The one time his Mom had met a boy that he was dating it didn't turn out to well. Jace didn't even want them to meet but Miranda had found out that he was dating someone and wanted to meet him right away. It was so embarrassing. The guy he had been dating had said some pretty inappropriate things and his Mom eventually grabbed the guy by the ear and literally dragged him out of the house. Safe to say, that was the last time Jace saw that guy. Miranda could be pretty scary when she wanted to be. Jace just hoped that she didn't scare away Scott. "Just try to go easy on him. For me. He's new to the whole dating thing and I don't want you to scare him off."

"I make no promises." The older Montgomery said, picking up her coffee and bringing it to her lips. Her phone buzzed next to her and she picked it up. "I got to go to work. I'll see you tonight sweetie. I love you." She leaned over and kissed his forehead.