★ | 008. lunatic

Book: Heartbreaker
Chapter 8: Lunatic
Word Count: 2841

Book: Heartbreaker Chapter 8: LunaticWord Count: 2841

The school bell ringing overhead made Jace jump. He had been in his own little dreamland and the bell had shocked him out of it. Ever since the night at school, he couldn't stop thinking about what he had found out about Scott. His werewolf was a boyfriend... or his ex boyfriend? He didn't know what to refer to Scott as. He didn't even think breaking up with him was the right thing to do. He was just scared. He knew he would have to talk to Scott eventually but for now, he just needed to stop thinking about werewolves and distract himself.

"It's just weird. Everybody's talking about what happened the other night, and nobody knows it was us." Allison said. Her, Jace and Lydia were walking down the school hallways, receiving non of the expected stares Jace thought they would be getting.

"Thank you, for the protection of minors." Lydia said happily. She looked to the side, noticing Jace had been quiet since they got to school and she frowned at him. "Are you still thinking about Scott?"

He shrugged at her. "Just trying to decide if what I did was right or not." He mumbled. He didn't ask her advice because there was no point. She didn't know the full story. He wanted to tell her but he couldn't just come out and say werewolves were real. She would think he was crazy.

"Hello? Scott locked us in a classroom and left us for dead. He's lucky we're not pressing charges or making him pay our therapy bills." Lydia linked her arms with his. "Forget about your boytoy. He's not worth it."

Jace pursed his lips and looked down. "But he is worth it." He mumbled.

Lydia gasped, putting a hand over her heart. "He's turned you into a love sick fool." She said teasingly and he rolled his eyes at her. Allison stayed silent and he was thankful for that. There was tension between the two since that night and if she even thought of opening her mouth and speaking to him, he wouldn't hold himself back from snapping at her.

They walked into their classroom and Jace took his seat, putting his elbow on his desk and resting his chin in his hand. He could feel Lydia's worried stare on his back but he ignored her. He didn't want to talk anymore.

Scott walked into the room seconds later and their eyes connected. Jace felt frozen in his seat, not being able to move his eyes. "Jace." Scott said, walking over to him until he stood in front of his desk.

Jace raised his eyebrows, waiting for him to continue but Harris interrupted before he could. "Mr. McCall, please take a seat." Scott clenched his jaw, glaring forward as he moved past Jace's desk to get to his own. Jace's looked forward. He had to focus on the test he was about to take, not on Scott. "You have 45 minutes to complete the test. 25% of your grade can be earned right now simply by writing your name on the cover of the blue book. However, as happens every year, one of you will inexplicably fail to put your name on the cover, and I'll be left yet again questioning my decision to ever become a teacher. So let's get the disappointment over with. Begin."