Becoming a Stranger

The smell of medical supplies drifted up the nostrils, strangling the throat, resulting in the tight, dry feeling feel worse. Rasa hands clenched as the lights in the hospital room flickered slightly indicating one of the long fluorescent bulbs needed changing. The man's eyes closed briefly, a sweat breaking out on his hands and armpits. The man licked his lips, his brown eyes looking down at the woman in the hospital bed.

The sweet smile of Karura's he loved was missing, replaced with a deathly paleness under her sandy colored locks. Near the woman lay an infant, just as tiny and fragile as Rasa's significant other. A burning feeling arose around the sides of his throat, and his ear drums, the words spoke by the doctors trying to save his wife falling on deaf ears. Words flew out of the man's mouth when they first mentioned Karura's heart beat failing, but now no motion came from his mouth, and his mind felt numb.

"I've not felt this way in a long time." Rasa's right hand clenched up, his mouth hanging open. Confusion buzzed around in his head, and the urge to reach out to the woman he loved sent shudders down his spine, the nasty feeling of panic preventing him from moving. "This is the feeling I felt when I struggled to confess to her."

The sound of the small infant crying softly brought the man back to reality, and he saw one of the nurses moving the child out of the room. A nasty taste filled Rasa's throat, and his hand reached out for the child, but stopped short, moving only a smidgen. The red haired child's eyes opened up, revealing a cool, sea foam green eye that seemed to pierce the soul. One of the doctors approached him, and a commanding voice almost no one ever used with him outside of the council pierced his skull, leaving a lousy feeling.

"Lord Kazekage, we need you to leave. We need to prep Lady Karura for surgery, if we are to save her."

Rasa felt the color leave his face, and felt as if he were right there dying with her. He followed after the nurse who removed the small child, and watched as she set the boy into a room by himself, left all alone. The man reached out a hand, letting the child grab onto his calloused index finger. The babe's thin digits wrapped around in a soft manner, making the man's throat tighten even more. Shinobi didn't need feelings, and yet he felt his heart breaking.

 Shinobi didn't need feelings, and yet he felt his heart breaking

How long he remained there watching the child he did not know. It was enough time for someone to come in to care for the newborn a couple of times, and finally a doctor came, telling Rasa to come see his wife. The man slipped into the room, and a smile fluttered across his face upon seeing Karura's beautiful Indigo eyes. Everything shattered at the look of confusion on her face as she simply stared. Then came the words out of her mouth.

"Who are you?"

...

The world around her felt fuzzy, her eyelids heavy as she tried waking up from the darkness. Every so often she felt a beast looking at her from behind, eating away at her, and wearing her down. A pin prick of white light popped into her view, and she turned towards the change, heading non-stop towards the light. Upon opening up her eyes she saw a white ceiling, and yet everything remained fuzzy. Her eyes darted around watching the doctors, not hearing what they said.

A deep breath escaped her lips, the hope that someone she knew remaining

A deep breath escaped her lips, the hope that someone she knew remaining. Here eyes widened when a man with auburn colored hair, and brown eyes stepped into the room. Her fingers tightened around the hospital sheets, and her mind remained dead to her memories, the confusion rattling around in her head. The smile on the man's face quickly left, and she knew he was concerned. "Who are you?"

"Karura?" The man's voice strained at that point, and she realized the stranger wouldn't leave – something indicated he knew her.

Her indigo eyes began to look the man over, and a slight heat filtered into her cheeks, and at the tip of her ears. The man in front of her, he was honestly quite handsome. His jaw line certainly pleased her eye, and the man was rather well built, his body structure indicating he participated in some kind of physical activity. For a minute Karura's mind drifted to imagining the man without his clothes, and she quickly lectured herself for such dirty thoughts.

Karura's eyes drifted to the ground, her mind becoming aware of the fact she was dressed in hospital robes. "Apologies, but I don't think it's appropriate for a strange man to be in the hospital room of an unmarried woman."

She saw the man's face fall, the eyes fall to the ground as the color left his face. "I apologize. I'll come back another time."

The sandy haired woman felt her chest tighten, as if she lost something important. "Not as if I'd be lucky to catch the attention of such a person."