Moons and Mirrors

Two indigo colored eyes looked up at the pale moon, Karura's mind still drawn to the fact something felt missing, and more than just memories. A nurse from the hospital helped the sandy haired female into a wheelchair, and the two wrinkled siblings rolled her out the door, into the quiet night. Her eyes closed, the feeling of being closer to the moon washing over her, and she relaxed into the chair while they headed to where Lady Chiyo and Ebizo lived.

A crunching sound under the wheels made Karura wonder, and her indigo eyes saw the grainy sand strewn across the path. The pale moon drew her indigo eyes up to the night sky, and the bright white stars twinkling away. Eventually they came to a place up on a hill, and Karura's eyes drifted to the side, taking in the city lights which twinkled just like the stars above. A breath of air escaped her lips, the awe of seeing such a sight washing over her, the experience feeling so new.

"And yet, it may not be." Karura's body sunk into the chair, and her attention turned back to the gate of the complex. The sandy haired woman let her eyes trace the frame of the small doorway as Ebizo opened the door, revealing a small enclave featuring a small pond, and a small house. Karura felt her eyelids move, her mind taking in such a strange place build away from the rest of the city. Her head tilted slightly. "This place, it doesn't feel like I need to know who I am to belong."

Chiyo noticed her curiosity, and leaned forward to whisper into the sandy haired woman's ear. "This is where I create my medicines, poisons, and puppets. It's always been a nice, quiet place to work from, even with Suna as populated as it is."

"What does those three have in common? Medicine and poison are contradictions, aren't they?" Karura attempted to shake her head at the contradiction. "No. I don't know why, but that actually isn't a contradiction." The young woman continued to look around at the place, noticing the stark whiteness that matched the hospital she came from, but gone was the nagging odor that came with such places. Instead a sweet smell, almost like what Karura thought home should smell like filled her nostrils.

The wheels of the chair scrunched as they went over the door frames, and finally Karura found herself settled into a room. A vase of a soft delicate white color stood on a nightstand waiting for flowers to be placed. The sheets were comfortable, allowing her to nestle down for a good nights sleep, her eyes batting shut at the sight of the moon outside the window of the room they provided for her. A knock awoke her, her body feeling rested despite what she thought to be her normal strength having not returned.

Lady Chiyo peered into the room, her normal frown upon her face, but a soft tone to her voice. "You have a couple of visitors today dear. Shall I help you get ready? It's the first time, isn't it since you've been able to make yourself presentable to company?"

Karura's eyes widened, the idea of being in normal clothing somehow coming off as appealing. The old woman helped her into her chair, the sandy haired female wondering how the wrinkled old woman had the strength to help her in such a manner. She found herself pushed over to in front of a nightstand, and mirror, and Karura took in the color of her eyes, and hair. "Even to myself I am a stranger."

The smell of breakfast drifted in from the other room, and Lady Chiyo continued to frown as complaints about Ebizo's cooking rattled out of the old woman's mouth, but Karura found herself feeling light of heart. Her eyes closed at the ease she felt, and only opened when she heard the wheels of the chair rolling again, a sound clipping over the door frame as they headed to the kitchen.

Karura's indigo eyes widened upon seeing the two guests standing in the kitchen, waiting for her to get up. The auburn haired man leaned up against the wall, his mouth twisted up into a scowl, his brown eyes watching Ebizo as he cooked. The other person bustled about setting the table with dishes, the sandy haired locks falling down in front of his indigo colored eyes. Her head titled to the side, taking in the childish smirk on the young man's face.

"He has the same color of hair and eyes as me." Her attention wavered, two indigo eyes darting to the flowers left on the table as well as the note. Karura felt her throat tightening upon seeing a letter. Chiyo rolled her over to the table, and the sandy haired woman's delicate fingers reached over to pick up the letter, opening it to read.

"I don't know how you do all the amazing things you do Karura."

The words fumbled about in her head, not making any kind of sense. A rather gruff voice brought her from the thoughts in her head, and she looked up at the auburn haired man. "Is something the matter? Actually, if this isn't decent either..."

Karura shook her head, an itchy feeling lodged in her throat as her cheeks heated up slightly. "Uh, no. I'm just not understanding this secret admirer I have, how he knows where I am, or this later note."

"Oh? What has that fool written now?" Chiyo took the letter from her hands, the wrinkled old woman's eyes scanning the letter's content. "Oh. Now how is she supposed to know what these amazing things this fool talks about when she's lost her memories?"

The auburn haired man's eyebrows shot up. "If this secret admirer is a problem..."

"Don't worry about it." Karura's eyes darted to the table, and the heat spread to the tips of her ears at the thought of the auburn haired man getting involved in her problems.

"I'd best be going."

The door clicked, and the sandy haired female felt a sigh of relief escape her lips. Karura indigo eyes darted up to look into a matching pair, and saw a rather exasperated look on the young man's face. Something seemed to bother the sandy haired young man, but something else made the young woman feel he wouldn't tell her what. Her mouth opened, her mind drifting to another issue. "Can I ask you something?"

"Sure, but I don't know if I'll be able to answer. The doctors say you should regain your memories on your own."

"I see. Could you at least, would it be possible for you to tell me if we are twins? We look like we could be." Karura felt tension in her shoulders, her delicate fingers brushing together at the nervous feeling in her stomach.

"Twins?" The young man's head tilted slightly to look past Karura, and she knew he was turning to Lady Chiyo for advice. A sigh of relief escaped his lips, and a soft smile flitted across his face. "Sort of. I'm only allowed to say this because you deduced it on your own, but I'm actually your younger brother." The young man suddenly reached up to push the corners of his mouth up even further with one finger. "Just think. You're older, but look so much younger than me."

Two sandy haired eyebrows darted up, her entire body relaxing.