| Dodgeball |

Allison Braidford
Tuesday, November 17th

I narrowly dodged a ball that was hurtling toward my face. I peek up from behind my hands and see that the thrower was none other than Chelsea. She picked up another ball and I braced myself for impact. But it never came. Instead, I see her hand the ball to Mikaela and kiss his cheek. Of course Chelsea would use her flirting techniques to hurt me.

I look to my left and see Xander chucking balls left and right, never missing. Within the first minute of the game, he had gotten 5 people out and he didn't look like he was planning on stopping. He was right, he really is a pro.

Mikael squeezes the ball threateningly in his hands and stares at me like a predator watching its prey. He pulls his arm back and builds up force to throw the ball straight at me. He looked like he was about to hit the hardest whip of all time. I could run, I couldn't hide. I had nowhere to go but down. I squint my eyes shut and crouch down.

Fuck being strong, I'm dead.

I wait for the ball to knock me down, but it fails to do so. I open one eye and see a tall figure standing in front of me, holding the ball that Mikael was holding just a second ago. Xander had gotten Mikael out for me. He turns around and flashes me a smirk. That arrogant bastard. Mikael slumps his shoulders and shoots me the deadliest and nastiest look I've ever seen, and Chelsea has sent me many, before sitting again the wall.

"Stand up, Ally. You're not going to get anyone out from down there, babe," he hands me the ball and winks.

"Here's a hint, try to avoid the balls," he pats me on my head like I'm a child. I can't really blame him, I was crouching down like a a ball just a second ago, about to be knocked over by a less than one pound ball.

"Haha, very funny. Isn't it about time for your daily dose of steroids?" That knocked the smile right off of his perfect face.

"I'll have you know, kitten, this is all natural. You can feel if you want to," he hikes up his shirt sleeve and flexes his bicep for me to feel, "feel it, I know you want to."

"Not even the slightest," I retort.

But I really did. I wanted to touch every inch of his perfect body and ki-

SNAP OUT OF IT ALLISON!

I shake my head, disapproving of myself. I open my eyes to see another guy releasing a ball from his grasp and sendings it shooting toward me. I slide to the side as fast as I could to avoid the ball, but I could tell it was going to hit my waist no matter what I did. But hey, at least I tried. But when it is a mere five inches from me, Xander's hand shoots out and catches it midair.

"I told you, it might help if you tried to avoid the ball," he pulls his arm back and throws it toward another jock that was too busy assaulting a group of people on our team to notice Xander targeting him.

"I'm so badass, aren't I?" He asks rhetorically.

"Far from, actually. You're a dork, you....dork," I weakly try to roast him.

"You're adorable, kitten. Like a cat. I guess that's why call you kitten, huh?"

"You're probably the most annoying person I know, X-Man." A ball rolls to my feet and I pick it up.

"Go on throw it. Get the glory of crushing someone's dream of being the dodgeball champion."

"I doubt anyone has those type of dreams, Blade. Why don't you go take some dįck pics or something to send to your 10 side hoes?"

"Don't mind if I do..." With that, he walks off to get more people out, leaving me instantly wanting him to come back.

I spot Chelsea whispering something about me to Andrea, who giggles uncontrollable at whatever she just said. What a friend I used to have. She catches my gaze and gives me the up-down. I squint my eyes in determination and throw the ball with as much force as I can muster toward her.

It hits her right in her nose. But I definitely didn't hit her hard enough to leave any type of bruise. I know it's evil to relish in her pain, but she's caused me so much pain, mentally and physically since kindergarten, that I feel I deserve this day of revenge. I shouldn't have to feel bad for feeling good about it.

"Allison! Headshot! This is a warning, don't do it again!" Coach Katrina yells.

"Yes ma'am!" I say back, politely. Coach Katrina is truly my favorite teacher out of all of them. She is nice to me, but knows how to control a class as rowdy as ours. Also, her wavy blonde hair is perfect, even though it's tied up in a messy ponytail 24/7. I don't even know why she bothers teaching at this school, she could do so many other things that her mere age of 27.

Chelsea falls to the floor dramatically, clutching her nose. I know I didn't hit her hard enough to knock her down. Despite my hatred toward her and her mean games, I know that my earlier punch was enough.

"Walk it off, walk it off Chelsea," Coach Katrina coaxes.

"But miss, I don't think I can. I'm starting to feel light-headed. I think I need to go to the nurs.." She falls to the ground once more.

What if I really did give her some type of concussion. Did I go too far? I mean, nobody really deserves to get serious brain damage. What have you done, Ally?

Coach rushes over and shakes her softly. When she doesn't move, she motions for one of the guys to come over.

"You, Blade! Yeah, you look strong enough. Carry this young lady to the nurses' office to get her checked out. Come back after," she instructs.

Xander has a look of unsureness and looks to me. I flash him a forced smile. After Coach coaxes him into picking her up, Xander scoops Chelsea up like she weighs two pounds and carries her out the double doors. Just before they exit, Chelsea shoots me a victorious grin and resumes her act.

Once again, jealousy consumes my mind and I have to close my eyes and slowly count to 15. I should have known Chelsea would put up an act just to get Xander's attention. And to think, I actually thought that a squishy dodgeball could give someone a concussion. Especially if it's being thrown by me, the weakest person in America.

You shouldn't be so possessive of Xander. You just met him. Stop suffocating him.

I shake my bad feelings off and listen to the coach.

"We will resume the game tomorrow. The bells going to ring in less than ten minutes. So head to the lockers and change."

I walk back to the locker room with the rest of the girls and change into my regular clothes. But all I could think about was Xander and Chelsea.

('_')('_')('_')('_')('_')