| The Kiss |

Allison Braidford
Friday, November 20th

My palms were sweating profusely as I stood at the border, watching and taking mental notes of the other team's defense. Chelsea was surrounded by her posey and a sea of hormonal football players. Despite their weakness when it came to Chelsea and anyone else with a rack like her's, they were all tough as nails when it came to anything physical.

I glanced over at Mia, who was talking with other teammates. Xander could be seen in the corner of my eye checking me out, so I decided to have a bit of fun.

"Hey Xander! If you keep staring at something as hot as me, you'll go blind. Why don't you focus on tending to that 'broken' ankle of your's."

Even from dozens of get away, I could see his face turn bright red and his eyes narrow.

"You'll regret taunting me when I'm on top of you later tonight and you can't get enough of me," he yelled back. Now it was me turning bright red and I looked around, making sure no one heard that sexual statement. To my relief, it didn't seem like anyone did.

I flipped him off and returned to inspecting the other team. Fortunately, none of them saw me as much of a threat, which gave me a huge advantage.

It's now or never, Allison.

I slowly walked across the border, holding my breath for some reason. I kept leisurely walking toward the circle where the flag was being guarded. Either no one saw me or no one cared. My plan was going perfectly.

It was...until Chelsea peeked over her crowd of boys.

Her shill voice shot through the whole field, "Look! That ugly loser is trying to steal our football! What are you guys waiting around for? Get her!"

As if she was the person holding the control to every single person on their team, everyone followed her command. They all bolted toward me with speed that I didn't know half of them had. One guy caught up to me and lunged at me, his body almost parallel to the ground. He reached with all his might for my flag, but to no avail. It was like I was skimming the ground, going faster than I ever thought I could go. I reached a point where I didn't even feel my legs pumping up and down. The poor guy face planted on the ground and was trampled by the crown coming after me.

"Go Ally! GO!" Mia yelled from the other side. She sacrificed herself and ran onto the other team's side, on the opposite side that I was. Over half of the people chasing me did a full 180° turn and started chasing her. Even though I though I was going fast, she was going even faster. She was going so fast that she almost just looked like a blur.

Before I knew it, she was in the circle, grasping the football. I felt my heart drop. This was my only chance to prove them all wrong and to have bragging rights over Xander. But I was happy for Mia. She would be the one to save our team.

I was about to run back to our side when she did something unexpected. She threw the football right at me. It spun toward me faster than my eyes could comprehend and fell into my arms that I didn't even know I had opened. I ran as fast as I could, even faster than before, to the other side. Nobody was looking over me so it was an easy run.

At the border, another team mate was waiting for me to thrown the ball for him.

"Ten seconds left! Get it together!" Xander yelled from the sidelines. His warning just hyped me up even more.

I gently threw the ball to the awaiting girl. I was smiling ear to ear and couldn't contain the excitement that was bubbling within me.

The ball flew up in the air and made its descend toward the girl's open arms. When the ball was right in the loops of her arms, she pulled it closer to her.

I was about to go and hug her; to congratulate her and to thank her. But I realized something before I could move.

The ball wasn't in her arms.

It was laying on the grass next to her feet. My jaw drops to the floor and I look up to see her horrified face. I felt like crying. I was so close yet so far.

Mia ran full force into me and pulled me into a giant hug. "You did it! You led our team to victory! I knew I could trust you with the ball."

"No Mia...it isn't..."

"No! It doesn't matter, all that matters is that you saved our team and we couldn't be happier for you!"

"No, it's not..."

"You're such a fast runner, so smooth and swift! I think you broke that guys nose in the beginning!"

"Mia! Look at the ball laying on the ground! We didn't get the points," Jasper finally intervened and got her attention.

Mia's face fell and she looked at the ball laying on the grass. She looked back at me and hugged me even tighter.

"It's okay! It's just a game we didn't need to win. All that matters is that we had a fun time and it wasn't that big of a point gap. You did an amazing job, Ally!" She reassured me. I smiled at her attempt to cheer me up but I couldn't help but wonder what would have happened if we had gotten those two points.

I wouldn't have to kiss Xander.

Now that I think of it, losing wasn't that big of a deal. The only thing that really got me down was that Chelsea and her crew would hold it over me for the next sixty four years.

Mia released me and started to converse with Jasper, Liam, Zach and Eliza. I took a huge breath and started walking toward Xander, knowing what to expect.

"Okay, you were right. I couldn't do it. But I tried and that's all that matters," I proudly huff out the last part before Xander wraps his arms around my waist and hugs me tightly.

"You did great, kitten. It wasn't even your fault. You know what? I'll still give you $20 for the effort."

"Really?" I perk up at that suggestion. $20 could get me numerous packs of Doritos at the vending machine. We didn't win, but it was something.

"Yes ma'am. But you still owe me something. I think you know what," he grins childishly and pulls me closer. Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Chelsea staring at us, fuming. But I really didn't care.

I loved the way his arms felt around me, the way our bodies couldn't get any closer and how I could feel his ever move. I just felt happy. So I did what I saw fit for the moment.

I kissed him.