How it Began - Part 3

"So, I heard you've been helping Sakura-chan?" Naruto grinned, taking a sip of his water.

Sasuke narrowed his gaze at the blonde, "I feel like you're suggesting something."

Feigning ignorance, Naruto tried to hide his smile, "What? Me? No, no of course not..." his face faltered slightly, "I know you've only been back a week but still, you've spent a lot of time with Sakura-chan. I happened to mention it to Kakashi-sensei, and he said you've been at her hospital with her."

"Why do you look so upset all of a sudden?"

"Well...I've missed you too, ya know! But I only see you when we decide to train. It's not fair Sakura gets you all to herself..."

Sasuke rolled his eyes at that, "For someone who's married, I'd think you'd be more mature than that."

"What's that supposed to mean!?"

"I'm working, Naruto. I'm off duty for another two weeks, and if I weren't working I wouldn't be doing anything. It's not a case of me spending more time with Sakura, it's a case of spending my time usefully. What else would I be doing besides training?"

"You could hang out with me!"

"Third-wheeling frequent trips to Ichiraku's with you and Hinata hardly sounds like good use of my time."

Naruto stalled at that, slightly offended that Sasuke didn't want to be at Ichiraku's. "You wouldn't be third-wheeling! Hinata doesn't like to hold hands and kiss and stuff when we're outside!"

"Hn."

"Well, what are you doing at the hospital that's so great then? I didn't think you'd be in to filling vials and watching Sakura treat kids."

Sasuke could feel his skin heat up, and took a gulp of water, "Well...I am."

Grinning, Naruto leaned over and nudged Sasuke's side, "Or is it the 'watching Sakura' you're in to?"

Sasuke's eyes widened a fraction and he shoved the blonde back, "Shut it, urasakontachi!"

Naruto snorted as he laughed at Sasuke's disgruntled expression, but stopped abruptly as Sasuke's hair caught his eye, "Hey! You're wearing it in a ponytail. Never thought I'd see that."

Sasuke tentatively touched the spiky ends at the base of his neck, "Hn...Sakura did it. It's getting longer and in the way. It's bothersome."

"Why not just cut it?" Naruto asked, sitting upright again.

"I've decided to grow it out. If I cut it again it'll just stick up."

"Duck-ass!"

"Oi! At least my hair re-gains a gravitational pull with length; you've got to get a ridiculous buzz-cut to calm yours down."

"Hinata likes the buzz-cut!"

"Sakura doesn't."

"Eh!? She lied to me!"

Sasuke tittered quietly as Naruto rubbed the top of his hair.

"You'll end up looking like Neji, ya know. Or It-...Itachi-san." Naruto's gaze softened as he looked over at his friend, "Is that why you're growing it?"

***

Sasuke smiled to himself once he spotted Hima coloring furiously at her desk. He shut the door quietly behind him, letting her know she was there. She looked up for a brief second, flashed him a smile then called him over.