twenty-two

Quinn Jackson ◊

Today was a special day for me, at least according to Ryder. Ryder created a room just for me, and he has been spending time trying to make it absolutely perfect, at least that's what he has been telling me.

"Quinn Jackson," His voice boomed, and I smiled as I set my book down and looked up at the older man who was leaning against the wall, "Are you ready for your surprise?"

He asked me, all serious now and I nodded as I pushed myself up and off of the furniture, and quickly walked with before he stopped in front of a door, and I was confused.

"Erm, Ryder, isn't this just a closet?" I asked, and he chuckled as he looked at me, crossing his arms over his massive chest with a smile on his face.

"Ah Quinn, what appears to be something is usually something else." He said, and I think he was trying to be wise but Luke always joked that he wasn't the brightest, so I just nodded and watched as he placed his hand on the door and pushed it open.

Inside was now completely different than the closet it had been before, and I gazed around in curiosity as Ryder watched me take it all in. Ashton was standing in the middle, entirely decked out in gladiator gear and I looked back at Ryder who had a giant grin on his face.

"Surprise!" He said, laughing as he ran towards me before holding his arms out and gesturing to the room around us. It looked to be a makeshift arena, one you would see back in Roman times, with sand covering the ground and bleachers all around us.

"Do you like it?" He asked, and I feigned enthusiasm as I nodded before he was placing his hand on my back and walking me more towards the center. "Close your eyes." He commanded, and I obliged without question.

He snapped his fingers and I felt out of breath as I was suddenly changed into a different outfit. I opened my eyes to look down at myself, seeing gladiator gear that mirrored Ashtons' on my body, and even my hair was different now.

Instead of my hair being down like it was before, my hair was now tightly pulled back, and up in a sleek ponytail with a metal band around my head. I ran my hands over the armor, admiring the feeling of it before I looked up at the guys in front of me.

"Erm, what am I doing again?" I asked Ryder, and Ashton chuckled as Ryder nearly shrugged his shoulders and patted me on the back, a little too harsh but I don't think he realized how strong he actually was, especially compared to me.

"Quinn," His voice boomed and he had a hearty smile on his face as he adjusted his own body armor, "Sometimes you don't ask why. Instead, you ask why not?"

Ashton helped me tighten the straps on my own, pulling quickly and I let out an oof as it knocked the breath from my lungs, and he chuckled quietly once again. Ryder snapped his fingers and things that I had a feeling Ryder would describe as toys appeared in a shelf type thing across the way.

"Pick your poison." He said, gesturing to all of the weapons and I frowned as I was not really that experienced besides the times I had training with Ryder before. The spear was always easiest for me, so I grabbed that, struggling slightly as it was still extremely heavy.

"You are going to battle Ashton," Ryder said, climbing onto the bleachers and I gasped slightly as Ashton simply smiled from beside me, grabbing a spear similar to mine but much larger with a wider spearhead and I frowned as he just walked towards the center.

"Ashton, are you ready?" Ryder asked, and Ashton adjusted his grip on his spear and I shook my head as I grabbed a shield as well, before walking out to mirror Ashtons stance in the middle. "Quinn, are you ready?"