[Chapter 1] Impossible to Balance

I was listening to music as I walked down stairs, only to be stopped by Rory popping out from the dining room.

"Ryan! We need you."

"For what?" I pulled my headphones so that they were hanging around my neck. I could still hear the music clearly because I listened to it with volume full blown.

"A family meeting."

"A family meeting?" I repeated.

"Yes, Ryan!" He snapped. "Now stop being so...teenager-like and come down."

I rolled my eyes and stomped down the stairs. Rory just glared at me as I entered the dining room and sat down next to Joey. He looked at me, "Hey."

I smiled at him. He and I should be brother and sister, we understand each other (to a certain degree), we argue, we get on each other's nerves, and he and I are almost the same in personality. Though he can't regenerate...

"Alright." Amy said as she sat down in the chair across from me, Rory sitting down next to her. "We have some news to tell you."

"I can move into the extra room down the hall from Joey?" I retorted in excitement.

"No, there is no room at the end of the hall, dear." Rory said. I sighed and crossed my arms.

"She gets to move to a different school than me?" Joey answered. I glared at him, he glared back. You see, Joey and I are both in high school, me in tenth grade and him in eleventh. He finds me an embarrassment to him. He's popular and I'm...not. He's a socialite, I'm a stay-up-all-night-listening-to-all-types-of-music-and-reading-all-types-of-books-and-writing-down-little-notes-ite, and I avoid people in school because I can't relate to them. I'm like my dad...I'm too knowledgeable. And you don't know how hard it is for me not to mention the Daleks or Cybermen or Oods in my history reports.

"No. No." Rory replied, breaking our staring contest. "Amy, you want to tell them?"

"The Doctor's coming to visit!" Amy exclaimed, clapping her hands together. Joey crossed his arms and leaned back in his chair, disappointed. I perked up and clapped my hands too.

"When?" I inquired. I hadn't seen him in...a few months? For him it could be minutes...or years.

"He told me over the phone he'd be in soon..." And just then, the recognizable whirring of the TARDIS began to sound outside the front door. I jumped out of my chair, causing it to fall on the floor and I swung the red, front door open.

I watched as he walked out of the TARDIS's door, coughing. Smoke flew out of the TARDIS in a gray, thick smog, right up into the air. "Engine's busted again."

"Dad!" I shrieked as I bolted out to him and hugged him.

He hugged me back and kissed me on the forehead, "My, have you grown!" He cupped his hands on my cheeks and turned my head left and right. "How long have I been gone?"

"A few months." I answered, stepping out of his embrace.

"Where is Amelia Pond?" He asked. Of course, she and Rory came out, as if it was their cue. They exchanged their hugs and were all smiles and giggles. I wish I knew my dad as well as Amy and Rory did. I've never traveled with him. As soon as I was born, I was given to Amy and Rory. He never told me why. And he still hasn't.

"My amazing, wonderful daughter." He turned to me. "Your sixteenth birthday is coming up, is that correct?" I nodded my head. I didn't really want to make a big deal about it...it was just another birthday I wouldn't get to see my dad, or my mom, or even celebrate. Amy and Rory try to impress me and make me feel better with a cake and some candles and some presents, but it just didn't mean anything to me.

"I'm going to take you somewhere where we can celebrate it." He smirked.

"Dad, I have school." I argued. "I can't."

"You do realize, when I take people somewhere, I can return them to the exact point in time where we left, right?" I crossed my arms. "Come on, it'll be fun, Rose."

"My name's Ryan, dad!" I shouted as I stomped my foot and rushed back into the house. Just to prove how much my dad cared about me, he got my name wrong...

I ran up to the bedroom Joey and I shared because Rory and Amy were "money tight" and couldn't afford to move me or Joey into the basement. But I don't believe that, Rory's a nurse and gets paid a good amount of money.

I plopped down on my bed, grabbed my pillow, and clenched it tight over my chest. I rested my head on the edge of the pillow and relaxed. I could overhear their continued conversation outside because the window was open, and a light breeze picked the red curls off of my back.

Amy: "Where were you going to take her?"

Doctor: "I was going to get her mom and we could go to some beach or something. She likes beaches, right?"

Rory: "Actually, she had a bad experience at a beach when she was young and refuses to even go near one now."

Doctor: "See what I miss by being a timelord and a father? It's almost impossible to balance it all!" He smacked his forehead and began to pace. He jumped and offered, "Then we can go to a mall with every store there ever was, she likes malls, right?"

Amy: "Uh, she hates going to the grocery market because there's too many people. I highly doubt she'd enjoy going to a mall with every store there ever was."

Doctor: He threw his arms in the air. "What the hell does she like to do then?"

I watched as Joey walked out of the house and bro-hugged the Doctor. My dad didn't know what to do, he stood there like a lifeless ragdoll. I admit, it was hilarious and cheered me up just a little bit.

Doctor: "Young man!"

Joey: "My name's Joey. You can call me Joey."

Doctor: "Joey, Ryan's your 'sister,' correct?" Joey shook his head. "What does she like?"

Joey: "You're her dad, shouldn't you know?"

Doctor: "It's...uh...complicated..."

Joey: "I know, I know." He cut my dad off. "You're a timelord, whatever that means, and you travel through space and time. And you can't seem to find the time to spend time with you're own daughter. What a great father you are."

Rory: "Joey!"

Amy: "Yeah. Be nice to the raggedy man!"

Joey: "The raggedy man?"

Doctor: "Joey, tell me, what does Ryan like?"

He put his hands on his hips and sighed, "I read her diary." I gasped, how dare that bastard read my diary! Hell, it wasn't even a diary! It was some pieces of notebook paper I stapled together and wrote things down in when a thought popped into my head. Joey continued, "All she wants is to spend time with you. Nothing special or anything. And I can't blame her, you're a really bad dad."

I watched as my dad threw his index finger in the air, retracted it to his side, kissed Amy and Rory goodbye on the cheek, shook Joey's hand, thanked him quickly, and escaped into his TARDIS. Amy, Rory, and Joey came back into the house.

Minutes later, Joey walked into the bedroom we shared, lay down on his bed, and pulled out his phone. He flipped his phone open and began to click the keys on his keyboard loudly.

"Could you that somewhere else?" I begged.

"Um, no. Maybe you could go mope somewhere else." He retorted, quickly throwing me an angry look at me.

I stood up and threw my pillow at him. "And thanks for reading my diary, jerk." I stormed out of the room.

"IT WAS A PLEASURE!" He yelled at me as I descended the stairs. "THE FUTURE MRS. PADILLA!" He snickered.

I stopped halfway down the stairs and clenched my fists. He did not just call me that. I rolled the sleeves up on my red, plaid shirt that was over my black camisole and turned around. "You're going to pay for this, Joey." I began to stomp back up the stairs when Amy walked out of her bedroom and stopped me.