Chapter 3: Reality

CHAPTER 3

"Bare please you have to talk to us" Joe pleaded with his son, who lay there in a state of denial.

"Hey Joe can I talk to you for a second" Caitlin said sheepishly approaching Joe pulling him to one side.

Joe followed Caitlin over to the opposite side of the room, she pointed to the screens.

"You see this, this is Barry's blood results before he was affected by the particle accelerator and this is them now" she explained.

"Right so what exactly am I supposed to be looking at?" Joe said feeling confused.

"Well you see these black circles attached to the cells, it almost looks as if Barry had or now has an auto immune disease, he had it present in his blood cells before he was hit with the Lightning " Caitlin said briefly looking at Joe.

"Caitlin your going to have to explain this in English im not really following" Joe said with a forced grin.

"Basically what I'm trying to say is Barry had this disease present before and now whatever has effected him has reverted his cells back to normal, so untill we figure out what's making him "ill" he's not going to heal any quicker than you and me" Caitlin said with a hopefully look.

"Right... I guess I'll go talk to Barry then" Joe said taking a deep breath.

Joe walked towards Barry a small limp still present in his strides.

"What happened to you then?" Barry asked worry evident in is voice, weather he decided to show it or not.

"Just a sprain, I'm fine. How are you feeling?" Joe asked.

"I'm in agony" Barry said wincing trying to adjust himself, he just couldn't get comfortable, he wasn't used to feeling this much pain usually he would be healing by now.

"Here let me help" Joe said fluffing Barry's pillows before attempting to resume conversation .

"So bare I've been talking to Caitlin and she seems to think that whatever is causing you to temporarily loose your speed has reverted your cells back to the way they were before you were hit by the Lightning" Joe said searching Barry for a reaction before continuing.

"I don't understand" Barry said bluntly.

"You have an autoimmune disease bare, it's stopping you from healing, so as soon as we find out why the sooner we can fix things, did your mum or dad ever mention anything like that running in the family?" Joe said offering a small smile.

"I don't know Joe I-" Before Barry was allowed to finish Cisco burst into the room with a very worried expression.

"Guys I hate to be the barer of bad news and all but we have a problem, there's a robbery in process at jitters" Cisco said not sure at which person to look at because he knew how much Iris meant to the both of them.

"Iris" Joe and Barry said in usion.

"I've gotta go bare, rest okay!" Joe said already halfway out of the room.

"Wait, Joe I'm coming with you!" Barry yelled but it was too late Joe had already gone. Barry immediately grabbed his phone. He scrolled down to his recent calls and dialled Iris instantly. 

*Ring Ring* *Ring Ring* *Ring Ring* --- Voicemail "Its gone to voicemail, somethings wrong" Barry flung the bed covers off him and attempted to get up.

"BARRY! what are you doing?!" Caitlin said sternly watching Barry attempt to get out of bed.

"I need to help Iris" Barry said struggling to untangle himself from all the wires and IVs.

"Well your not going to be any help to her in this state now are you? Cisco alittle help here" Caitlin said as Barry finally stopped struggling and threw his head back down on the pillow.

"How am I supposed to help central city like this? Im useless." Barry said whimpering whilst gesturing towards his leg.

"Well you can't help central city  you help yourself and your going to help yourself by resting! Caitlin said forcefully.

"Okay" Barry nodded, but still was determined to find a way to help Iris.

"Good now I'm going to leave you to get some sleep, just let us know if you need anything, and we'll let you know if we hear anything about Iris" Caitlin said diming the lights and exiting the room.

Barry lay there for a good half hour contemplating what he was about to do. He glanced over a Caitlin and Cisco a few times they seemed quite preoccupied.

He waded up his options and saw dr well's wheelchair in the corner, now he just had to figure out how he was going to get from the bed to the wheelchair without setting all the alarms off.

After realising that he wasn't going to get anywhere without setting  the machines off he decided the best thing to do was just "make a run for it".

Barry slowly weened himself towards the edge of the bed making as little noise as possible before slowly putting weight on his good leg, his head spun and he quickly used the edge of the bed to steady himself.

Once the room had stopped spinning and he felt like he could make a dive for it he used little strength he had left and hopped two paces before collapsing into the wheelchair and in the process setting off all the alarms re-ripping out his IVs and causing Caitlin and Cisco to come charging in.

END.