Chapter 7: Powers Or No Powers

CHAPTER 7

- At the Hospital-

Joe sat awkwardly in the uncomfortable hospital chairs trying to re-adjust his position every so often in attempt to make it more comfortable. Joe let his head rest back on the chair trying to battle against his body for consciousness.

"You need to go home and rest Mr West, you've been here for 3 days straight" One of the regular morning nurses said opening the curtains in Iris's room.

It was becoming a regular thing, every morning the nurse would come in and talk with Joe whilst attending to Iris's dressings and medications. Joe wasn't sure what it was but there was something about the nurse that made him feel at ease with the situation, and he felt like he could tell her anything.

"Ha are you going to make this a regular thing, coming in here and trying to convince me to leave" Joe said with a small smile. His daily conversations with the morning nurse had become regular and Joe enjoyed the small distraction from reality.

The nurse approached Joe and bent down towards his ear "Would it help if I said your starting to smell" She said with a laugh.

Joe laughed back his smile turning to a blank expression. Maybe he should go home and get changed. "Maybe you right he replied, i just thought maybe my son would be here today" Joe said trying to hide his disappointment. He slowly eased himself out of the chair stretching his tired and sore muscles in the process. 

"Don't worry Mr West I'm sure he'll be here, but i think for the time being you need to go home and get some proper sleep and something to eat, your no good to either of them like this" The nurse said ushering him towards the door.

" You really want me gone don't you" Joe said with a laugh as he headed towards the door before turning to the nurse who was now adjusting Iris's bed sheets. "I never got your name?" Joe said the smile returning to his face.

The Blonde nurse turned to face Joe. " Natalie" she said smiling gently back.

"Thank you.. Natalie really it means a lot" Joe said.

"Your welcome" she replied. 'Now go home and get some rest, i don't want to see you back here until your showed and rested" Natalie said with another smile.

- Star Labs-

"Well do you think it will work?" Caitlin said as Cisco drew back the serum into the syringe.

"I don't know but i don't plan and letting barry know that we've maybe found a solution, i think he needs some more time" Cisco said putting the lid back on the syringe and then into his pocket before putting the spare serum back in the cabinet.

"What why? You know he needs this, look at him Cisco, he can't deal with this without his powers, and he's in so much pain" Caitlin said worried for Barry and confused to why Cisco wouldn't want Barry to have the serum.

Cisco felt guilty as he glanced towards Barry who hadn't moved from his bed for two days. Partially due to him being so weak but Cisco knew there was another aspect to why Barry was acting this way. He watched Barry struggle to try sit up in bed, and it made him feel even worse but he knew barry needed time and he knew if he gave Barry the serum now he would take it without even thinking.

"Barry promised to spend more time with Joe and Iris but all he's done is sit there and feel sorry for himself. He's forgotten what its like to be human, he needs to remember whats its like not to have powers, i will give him the serum but not just yet, give me until the end of today. I need him to think about things and understand the risks " Cisco said glancing back at Caitlin to see her reaction.