Chapter 13: Apologies

"Barry? How are you feeling?" Caitlin asked still worried looking at the the machine, she silenced the alarms now moving closer to Barry.

"My legs hurt" Barry said sitting up a little, acknowledging the fact that Caitlin ignored his question so he asked again. "Did the serum work?" Barry said.

Caitlin threw back the covers examining Barry's legs, they were black and blue and had clear indications of frostbite, his broken leg also looked swollen and bruised. Caitlin felt a wave of guilt wash over her quickly throwing the covers back over his legs.

"Barry what was the last thing you remember?" Caitlin asked not only worried about Barrys physical health but mental, why couldn't he remember what happened?.

"I injected myself with the serum, which I know was stupid, I'm so sorry Caitlin but I needed to try, I need my speed back" Barry asked clearly not remembering the past couple of hours.

"Barry you left here hours ago.. you got your speed back, you went to go see Iris and...Joe" Cisco said exchanging worried glances with Caitlin.

"Why did you say Joe like that?" Barry asked picking up on Cisco's tone change.

"You attacked him Barry" Caitlin said softly trying to break the news gently.

"W-what? I attacked Joe?" Barry asked now attempting to get up, eager to see if his speed worked.

"The serum worked bare, but there was side effects, the dark matter changed you" Cisco said easing Barry back down on the bed, now sitting down next to him.

"Changed me how?" Barry asked, wincing at his painful legs.

"It made you angry and almost careless to how other people felt it was almost as if you had no humanity, the only thing you seemed to care about was Iris" Cisco replied trying to break the news as gently as possible.

"Guys... I don't know where to begin to apologise"Barry said feeling extremely guilty. 

Barry glanced at Caitlin and Cisco flashing them both apologetic looks before continuing. "I didn't hurt either of you did I?" Barry said hesitantly.

"No Barry.. but I hurt you I had no choice you were going to try and inject Iris with the same serum, it would have killed her, I had to freeze you thats why your legs are so painful" Caitlin said taking full responsibility for her actions and she couldn't help but feel awful for the obvious pain that Barry was in.

Barry looked down at his legs now noticing the colour of them, he ran his fingers over his lower leg feeling the bits of burnt flesh peeling away as he brushed his hand across his shins. Barry winced again looking back at Caitlin.

"Its okay Caitlin, thank you, you got me back no matter what it took, so thank you" Barry said offering a small smile.

"You should get some rest, and I need to bandage those legs, I don't want them to get infected" Caitlin said heading towards the supply closet.

"Caitlin I'm okay really, I can feel the speed force I'm healing" Barry said grinning to himself, now acknowledging the presence of the lighting he felt crackle through his veins, it made him feel alive, like he had purpose again.

"I know Barry but you still need to rest" Caitlin said now bringing over some fresh bandages to dress Barry's frost bitten flesh.

"I need to see Joe! I need to apologise" Barry said desperately trying to remember what had happened.

"Barry please, you need rest!" Caitlin begged trying to reason with Barry.

"Caitlin please I need to see Joe and Iris" Barry said his eyes pricking with tears.