Chapter 8: Facing Your Fears

CHAPTER 8

- Joes House -

Joe had gone home earlier that morning, he had rushed home, hoped into the shower and scoffed down a little food before collapsing onto his bed. Exhausted. He took a brief glance at the clock it read 11.20am. Joe just let his eyes close for a second....

*Bzzz Bzzz Bzzz*

Joe stirred opening his eyes slightly, he felt exhausted but the buzzing noise continued.

*Bzzz Bzzz Bzzz*

This time Joe forced himself to keep his eyes open and check his phone, which is where he assumed the buzzing noise was coming from. The time was now 3.42pm. Barry was calling. Joe suddenly snapped out of his sleepy trance and rapidly pressed answer on the phone.

"Barry! Hey!" Joe replied in excited to talk to his son.

"Joe. I was worried I've called you six times, why haven't you answered?" Barry asked concerned.

"Sorry bare i was asleep, Natalie has been bugging me for days to go home and rest!, whats wrong is everything okay!" Joe asked now fretting that something had happened.

"Who the hell is Natalie?" Barry questioned before realising that it must have been the nurse that he was talking too earlier. "...Joe I'm at the hospital, Iris-"

"IRIS, what's happened, I'm on my way" Joe said now scrambling to his feet, and grabbing his jacket and car keys.

"Joe calm down let me speak, they tried bringing her round and it worked but then something happened and-

-beep beep beep-

- At star labs earlier that day -

"Okay, lets go" Barry said removing his phone from his pocket. Barry hesitantly scrolled down to Joes number and pressed dial.

*Ring Ring* *Ring Ring* *Ring Ring* *Ring Ring* ...Voicemail.

"Voicemail again, what if something happened!" Barry said grabbing the bed rail to push himself up.

"Lets just head over to the hospital, and don't worry until you have to worry he's probably just sleeping or something" Caitlin said in an attempt to comfort Barry.

Cisco brought over the wheelchair, and Caitlin helped barry in. "Yeah I mean I spoke to Joe yesterday he rang to check up on you and he said that he's been sleeping at the hospital" Cicso added.

Cisco took the breaks off the wheelchair and started pushing Barry towards the car park. "What? he's been at the hospital since Thursday?" Barry asked surprised.

"Yeah he hasn't left Iris's side... he did the same for you, you know" Cisco said knowing he touched a nerve.

"I feel awful, I should have been there everyday, why was I so selfish!" Barry said resting his head into his hands.

Cisco laid a reassuring hand onto Barry's shoulder "Don't worry about that now lets get to the hospital" Cisco said wishing he hadn't said that to Barry. He felt bad, he knew he was sensitive when it came to Iris and Joe, it was the one thing that could distract him, and make him slip up, his love for his family.

Barry stayed silent the whole journey thinking about everything that had ever happened and gone wrong since he got his powers. Maybe he was the reason everything bad happened? the reason his mom died, the reason his father died? Eddie? Ronnie? Maybe the reason anything bad happened was all his fault. Barry couldn't help but wish it was him that died.

Barry was soon snapped out of his depressive state.

"Barry...Hello?, earth to Barry?" Caitlin said now worried flashing a small touch in Barry's eyes to check his responses.