Chapter 6

Please... Please for the love of god, don't let this be real... Red's consistent sobbing and short wails were the only sounds he could make while he hugged his knees and buried his face in his arms behind the park's toilets. Tears soaked themselves into the sleeves of his hoodie while he cried his broken heart out. His glass globe, one that had once contained a happy and innocent soul, had finally been dropped onto solid ground, shattering into a million pieces after being shaken so many times for the amusement of others. The cogs that kept him going no longer played music; only a monotone hum was left of what used to be a cheerful melody that put a smile on anyone's face.

Why was she here...? Why was she here...? Why was she here...?

This can't be happening... Just when he thought he'd finally escaped her, his family had to move to the one place that she, for some reason, had moved to as well. The one person who had ruined his life forever had just made it even worse. Why did he even bother trying anymore? Why did he even believe for a second that his life could possibly turn around? Why was his life so worthless?! No matter what he did or what little help he got, whenever something good happened to him, the bullet just had to ricochet and plow straight through the very core of his sanity. He truly didn't feel worth anything anymore. If there was anything that could make him feel like living another second, then he'd-

"Geeze, finally! I've been waiting for almost a fucking hour, and then where do I find you? Fucking hiding behind... Holy shit..."

Red's breath hitched upon hearing Blue's voice; he really didn't need to be seen like this.

The older blonde's feet pounded on the ground as he raced to Red's side. "Red, are you okay?! Who the fuck did this to you?! Fucking tell me, dammit!"

No amount of shaking Red's shoulder made him look up. He kept his tear-soaked face hidden from Blue's view. However, he couldn't hold back a helpless whimper. "Blue..."

"Red...?"

The young blonde no longer cared. His heart was scattered over a hundred places right now, and he really needed someone to pick up the pieces for him. Letting out a loud wail, he launched himself onto Blue, wrapped his arms around the older teenager's neck and buried his face against the broad chest. His fists grabbed clumps of cerulean clothing that clung to Blue's back, and said male complied by snaking his arms around the trembling boy and placing one hand amongst the golden locks of hair.

"Red... What happened to you?" Blue said again, his voice settling down to a much smoother tone that resonated amazingly in Red's ear. Just listening to the other blonde speak was all Red needed to help calm his breathing. Blue then started gently stroking Red's head as soon as his sobbing picked up again, and the sorrow that had swelled up inside began melting away in an instant. "It's okay, Red. I'm here."

There it was. There was the soft side that Blue kept hidden away. Red knew that the tough teenager had a caring personality to him, one that didn't want to see others hurt, but his wall of pride was constantly in the way and prevented him from letting others in. Now Red had knocked it down, and though it was inevitable that it would be rebuilt, it would have gained a gate that let only one person in: Red.

The younger blonde's sobbing and crying had ceased, leaving only sniffles behind. "Blue... Thank you..." he whispered.

"...For what?" Blue replied, confusion evident in his voice.

"For being here." Red snuggled even closer to Blue and inhaled deeply, breathing in the older boy's scent. His body felt like a living blanket – warm and safe, kind of like Red's nightlight, but with an added fondness that couldn't be found within the electrical appliance. The blanket had more to offer; it was soft, enveloping, and made him feel nice. He felt at ease in Blue's embrace for some unknown reason, but he didn't question it. He wanted to stay like this and never move.