Chapter 1

"Done!" Red said triumphantly, placing the last of his picture books on the shelf. Everything of his was now in his room.

He gave a big yawn and collapsed onto his bed, burying his head into his pillow to shut out the morning sun, unthankful for the short amount of sleep he got last night. It was a long drive and took almost a whole day, but he was just grateful that he could finally relax and catch a few winks.

"Red! Would you come downstairs please?" his mom called.

Red groggily opened one eye and groaned as he got up. On top of being tired, it just has to be Monday today, he thought. After making it to the door, he leaned out and called back. "Yeah?"

"Green really wants to have a look around the area and he asked if you wanted to go with him!"

Red sighed. "I don't see why not!"

"Alright sweetie! He's leaving now, so you'd better hurry up and get down here!"

The blonde teenager went back inside to change his shirt quickly. He took off his plain white t-shirt and replaced it with a light red long-sleeved undershirt and fiery red t-shirt. He didn't bother getting out of his dark brown jeans. He went over to the door and closed it behind him. He tiredly hopped down the stairs, made his way over to the front door and reached for his sneakers on the shoe rack. They were a simple white color with black laces – nothing special.

"Ready to go, lil' bro?" Green said happily, leaning against the open door frame. He had on white jeans and a green long-sleeved hoodie.

"As ready as I'll ever be, I guess," Red replied, finishing the last lace of his shoe. He stood back up and followed his brother out of the house and into the sun.

***

Green and Red found themselves at the local park after about an hour. So far they'd met some of the friendly adults who lived in their area and even a few children, but they hadn't seen anyone from the high school yet. Red kicked a small pebble along the pavement as he walked, keeping his hands behind his back. He sighed when he kicked the pebble too far out of the way and tried to focus on something else.

"Hey, Red," Green said, stopping and tapping his brother on the shoulder, "I think they might be from the school." Red's gaze followed the direction that Green's finger was pointing to, and from what Red could see, there were three boys and a girl, all seeming to be around their age. "Come on, we might as well make some friends before enrolling next week. That way we won't be alone."

Red's social anxiety alarms immediately began blaring inside his brain, and the idea of approaching other teenagers as himself terrified him without a doubt. It had never worked before, so why should it have any reason to work now?

"Uh, no thanks. You go ahead," he said with a nervous laugh.

Green scoffed. "Don't be ridiculous. Okay then, how about this: I'll go over and say hi and see what they're like. If I think that they're not friend-worthy material, then you don't have to meet them. Alright?"

Red glanced in the teenagers' direction; they looked friendly from this distance at least. He sighed and looked back to Green. "Alright."

"Cool! See ya in a bit."

Red watched his older brother head towards the group, silently praying that he could finally have some friends for once.

Green walked up behind one of the guys, waving his left hand in the air for a friendly greeting. They each turned around and smiled, and after a few more seconds, they began shaking hands.