Chapter 8

enjoy:)

Rhett's POV

"Dylan bud just pick one, we don't have all night." We have been standing in front of a Redbox for ten minutes.

"What was that back there?" Dylan asked me still browsing the movies.

"What do you mean?" I looked up to Ruby sitting in the truck on the phone with her aunt.

"I mean, I know you. You don't claim a girl like that, hell I've never even known you to have a girlfriend and you're acting like she's your future wife." He finally picked a movie. "I just wanna know what is going on."

"It's fake."

    Dylan scoffed, "sure as hell didn't look fake."

    "I like her okay? A lot, and I fucked up last night by bringing her home with me last night. I don't want her to look easy, and I kind of like being able to call her mine without it being all awkward."

    "You are totally whipped by someone you just met." He laughed, "it's official ladies and gentleman Rhett Kason is hooked." He yelled kind of loud, and I laughed.

    "You think I'm crazy?"

    "I think you're trying to do something for you. Between you and me, I think she's perfect for you, even though I barely know her, she's not crazy like the rest of 'em she's like the moon a constant reminder of reality, always there for you."

    "When the fuck did you turn into Shakespeare?" I laughed.

"About the same time you turned into Romeo."

    I looked back to the truck to find Ruby staring at us, well more particularly me. "Come on she's off the phone." I pulled Dylan's attention away from some busty blonde who no doubt has twenty different STDs.

    I decided to drive now since I was 'cooled off' as Dylan put it. I mean I guess I was, I got Ruby back. I rested my arm over the back of the seat my fingers grazing against her shoulder. "So sunshine we're we going?"

    "Well my aunt isn't home anyway, and I never grabbed a key from her so I'm locked out."

    "She actually locks her doors? Around here? Who's gonna break in a seagull?" Dylan laughed from the passenger seat.

    "She's crazy okay? My mom is nothing like her."

    "So she's your mom's sister?" I asked wanting to know more about her.

    "Yea, but the last time they talked was years ago, my parents are always working, putting in more hours at the hospital to actually have time for the people that are supposed to mean the most to them." She smiled a tight lipped smile, "and there making me follow in their footsteps."

    "You don't wanna be a doctor?"

    "No, I don't like interacting with people I don't know much less operating on them, plus human blood and me don't mix well." I looked down to the blood droplets on my shirt, whoops.

    "You'll be real successful Rubes." Dylan laughed.

    "Have you ever told them you don't want to be a doctor?"

    "Yea. But there's no room for argument, I either go to med school or she won't pay for other schooling."

    "She?"

    "My mom, she has my dad convinced that's what I want to do. And she's the one with the money to pay for it so, what she says goes."

    "What do you want to do?"

    "Honestly something small, open a restaurant or something. Do something that can make people happy."

    "So why don't you, you don't need a degree to do that."

    "True, but you need money Dylan."

    Can't help ya there Sunshine. And then it hit me. At the end of the summer she's going to leave, she's going to go away from here, and probably never look back. "Where'd ya say you were going to college at again?"

    "My mom wants me to go somewhere up north."

    "Oh." My heart sunk, there was no way I could make her mine forever, she was moving away up north.

    "Which is the worst part because that's eight years of no beaches, it's like she's trying to kill me."

    "There's always Cape Cod and all though right?"

    "There nice and all but I like these beaches, the warm ones and the people here are amazing... minus a few maybe." She looked straight at Dylan and I could help but laugh as I pulled into the driveway, maybe I could still convince her to be mine, stay with me. I looked over to her as she climbed out of my truck, she's perfect, perfect for me.