Chapter 15

The picture is Alex, by the way.

************************

I stared at the three figures before me. Rose was on the floor wincing in pain. I had pushed her aside when I opened the door, but I know I wasn't the cause of her pain. Many bruises scarred her skin, but no blood.

Nathan glared at me, his red eyes glowed with a look of pure hatred and anger. I returned the stare, though I'm pretty sure my look was much more fierce. Inna stood in front of him, her posture was defensive. I wondered how Nathan had entered but now, I'm starting to understand. Maybe Inna wasn't the best human servant.

She must have let him in, she'd do anything for him. Apparently, from what I've seen and heard, she's 'madly' in love with him. The sight of them making out is revolting. I clenched my fists.

"Don't," Nathan threatened. Threatened. He's even smirking, the idiot. "You know what Galina said. Touch me and you're out of here."

I strode towards him, at a regular human pace. My hands itched to end his life but I couldn't for a number of reasons, and he takes advantage of this. I couldn't because he is right, Galina would kick me out of here. But also because Rose is here. If she is to ever witness me killing, well, all my hard work would go in vain. We'd be back to square one. Unless . . .

I pushed the human too the side, so that we made proper eye contact. "It'll be worth facing her wrath, particularly when I tell her you attacked first. Rose certainly bears the marks of it."

"You wouldn't." He pointed at Inna. Rose was crawling towards the human but I paid no attention. "She'll tell the truth."

I almost scoffed at that. "You really think Galina will believe a human? No. When I tell her how you attacked me and Rose out of jealousy, she'll let me off. The fact that you'll be so easily defeated will be proof of your weakness. I'll slice your head off and get Rose's stake from the vault. With your last breath, you can watch her drive it through your heart."

I could already picture the beauty of it in my head. There would probably be better ways of killing him off. I could lock him out whilst the sun is up, then sit near a window and watch his skin sizzle as he burns alive. I'd laugh at his weak screaming and enjoy watching his face twist in pain. Being put on the sun, its horrific. It's why he deserves such a punishment. Oh what a pretty sight that would be.

Nathan's silence was enough to show that I had the upper hand here. He wax too scared to respond in case I really do kill him. My anger had suddenly vanished and I grinned. I could have easily taken him down, even if I was still a dhampir. How is it possible that I was overpowered by someone as weak as him?

"Twice," I said, softly. "Twice I've let you go. Next time . . . next time, you're gone."

Rose was near Inna now, she held her hand out. "Are you okay? She murmured, gently. The human jerked away, and moved towards Nathan. Rose is the one who's hurt, yet she offered to help Inna, which I found amusing. Inna's reaction is even more humourous; she seeks refuge from him, which is useless against me.

Nathan moved towards the door. "No, twice I've let her live. Next time she's gone. I'm the one in control here, not you."

He opened the door, and Inna followed. It took a lot out of me to not retort back. Even after they left, I stayed silent. Rose looked at me with astonishment, her lips apart. Then, she did something surprising: she burst into tears.

It was like the anger I had previously possessed emerged from its hiding. I glared at the dhampir, coldly. I wanted an ally by my side, someone strong like her. My pampering has backfired and instead of luring her, it made her weak.