Chapter 8

"Dammit!" I yelled, my fist slamming against the elaborate wooden desk. My body shook with rage even though I also felt relieved. I was right when I thought it was her. She had known I was awakened. But how?

"What is it!" Galina ordered. No, I couldn't tell her the truth. She may not trust me again. I tried to hide my feelings as best as I could when I replied. 

"She's...Someone I know. I can take care of her." I replied, unable to say anything else. Marlen was about to say something when Galina cut him off.

"I need to go, there isn't much time left. We'll talk about this later." Me and Marlen left. Marlen smirked at me but I could see in his cold hard stare that he was grateful. Grateful? . . .

Of course. He said Rose and her group had attacked him. She would have killed him, but he's alive now because he knew who I was. She had a message for me and he was the only one to give it to me. To do that, he needed to be alive. Awkwardly, I turned on my heel and went straight to my room.

So it was Rose, all this time. I felt relief and worry, joy and anger. I left Montana to protect Rose because I had been newly awakened. It was hard to control hunger. Now that I was used to my new life I wouldn't kill her unless I wanted to. I can't say I haven't missed her. She's the only one who could kill me, she's the only one strong enough. Should I kill her or not? If I killed her, I would be lonely forever in my immortal life. Everything would be so boring day after day.  But if I didn't kill her, that would give her a chance to kill me, could I take that risk?

I sat down frustrated, my hands over my face. I felt trapped with the posibilities. I stood up pacing the room for minutes before sitting down again. I need to think this through. The sun would be out soon. I can't go out now.

This will be dangerous, If Rose and her friends see me she'd have a better chance of killing me with them as help. I have to somehow get her alone. But how can I do that without the other unpromised ones seeing me? Angrily I rushed to the bathroom to wash my face. I wiped my face with a towel harshly. I needed to calm down. I looked out of the window. A dark figure stood near the trees, heading leftwards to Novosibirsk. By the way he moved, I could tell he was human. And the fact that it was daylight, he must be human. I watched him till he was out of sight.

Who was that? I wondered. I thought back to what Galina had said. She said that she needed to go somewhere. Now that didn't make sense. I was so shocked thinking about Rose I didn't notice. It was nearly daylight, Galina couldn't possibly go any where at this time. She must have sent a human. I sighed and sat on the couch, grabbed the novel and read for the remaining hours. Those hours passed by like days.

I ran outside early, straight after dusk. I needed to find Rose. But where? How? Instead I went to feed. To hell with the others, I'm not waiting. I'm pretty sure I can take care of myself anyway.

When I reached to a night club I was unfamiliar with I unconciously sniffed the air, trying to hunt Rose down. No luck. She wasn't here at all. Stop it! I mentally warned myself. I just needed to feed, the blood in my system will make me feel better. I cautiously walked in the night club, eyes watching everywhere. I was sure Rose wasn't here but I couldn't stop myself from worrying. If Rose was here, she'd hesitate like she did back at the academy with Natalie Dashkov.

Natalie, Victor Dashkov's daughter. I understand why she was glad she had been awakened. The power, the strength . . . it made you feel like a god. Natalie was a Moroi student in the academy who killed a dhampir to awaken as a strigoi. She did this to break Victor out the prison but Rose had been there at the time. Natalie was very close to killing Rose but I came in and killed her. I had always thought killing was wrong but now it didn't matter. Killing well known guardians showed how strong you really were, it grew fear around those you knew and shows how dangerous you can be.