Chapter 23 (Epilogue?)

I reached into the drawer, pulled out a pen and paper, and began to write. I have to inform Rose of my survival, I want our final battle to be fair, it's the only proper way I can end things between us. If I attack her by surprise it wouldn't be fair, would it? In a way, I'd be testing my own strength. There may be other dhampirs like Rose out there in the world, the rare few that have skills that excel, up to my standard when I had been a mortal. If I can defeat them, it proves of my strength against all. It would build insecurity amongst prey. Oh, what mayhem my future as a Strigoi would cause, the thought of it made me shudder with lust and longing. I wrote of whatever came to mind, no room for second thoughts, whilst making it as short and blunt as possible. And I smiled at the end result.

You forgot another lesson: Never turn your back until you know your enemy is dead. Looks like we'll have to go over the lesson again the next time I see you---which will be soon.

Love, D.

I slid the letter into an envelope, unsealed, shoving it into a drawer. Footsteps grew closer to my room, before they paused, at my door. "Alex, come in." I muttered. I heard a sigh from the other end of the door before it opened and she entered, shutting the door behind her.

She grinned. "I'm not going to ask what happened out there," She was referring to the fight with Rose. "but I'm guessing it didn't turn out well. At least you got what you want, Galina's dead."

"But what about you?" I narrowed my eyes, watching her, carefully.

"What about me?" She looked baffled.

"What do you want, there must be something, if you're helping me out." I pointed out.

"Smart," She muttered. She was smiling, the odd way a Strigoi does, but it looked genuine---human like. It makes me sick. "Maybe I'm doing this from the goodness in my heart."

"Yeah, right." I scoffed, speaking sarcastically. "We're made without any of that, thankfully. You're not an exception."

"Maybe you're wrong about that." She pointed at the plain silvery band around her finger. It gleamed, even in the dim lighting I had here. Dim, I suppose, for a human. The brilliance of its white glow reminded me of when I had worn it, and some part of me really did. The small, annoying part I often ignored.

"Get rid of that," I ordered. "You'll get killed one of these days because of it."

"Did I hear concern there?" She teased.

"If you die, I'm going to have to replace you with a stronger asset. That takes too much time to find, and effort." I informed. "Now, I have to go." I got up and strode towards the door, she followed wordlessly, her daft smile remained. I ignored it, and her as I walked towards my office.

The humans did a pretty good job with cleaning up, especially since I only allowed them a half hour. The bodies had been disposed, most of the blood had been cleared. The carpet was far beyond fixable, it held the most damage. Blood had been splattered and soaked, like some sort of mad-man's artwork. Which made me chuckle, since I had caused it.

I sat onto my chair, the one that had belonged to Galina. The thought of that made me . . . uncomfortable, but I dismissed it immediately. I'll just get a new one to replace this one, along with the carpet. And my leather duster. The amount of times I had been stabbed today was unbelievable, my leather duster took some of the damage. It had large holes from areas that I had been targeted with her stake (mainly around my heart) and noticeable changes in colour from where blood had been shed.

I focused on the documents before me and sighed. Being the ruler of an estate can be hard work, I imagined it to be. I really wish I had been wrong about that.

*****

"She's not there, a couple had taken her back to the city in their car." One of the humans, I sent to scout the area reported. So she survived. Even if she had been helped to do so. Our last battle really will be interesting, though I secretly do wish she had died.

Maybe Rose had been stronger than me, when she had almost killed me. Back then, I had something holding me back. Stopping me from killing her, despite the countless times I could have. Back then, my only hope was for her to be awakened. Now, I wanted her dead. There isn't any chance I'd let her get the best of me, I will be able to win this time. But why do I feel so anxious about it?

I nodded and dismissed them, all but one. "You." I outstretched a finger towards a human at random. "Follow me."

I walked out of the entrance and through the maze. The sun had already set, and night had taken over. I went at such a slow pace, it irritated me, but I had to make sure the servant was following me. Eventually, I stood in front of the river Ob. I was flooded with memories of the fight with Rose, overpowered with rage, fury and sadness. I focused my attention on the river. I searched it with my eyes. There! It glittered a silvery glow in the clear blue water.

"Get that stake." I pointed at it. My ordering, firm tone caused him to flinch, but he climbed down, retrieved the stake and climbed back up.

When we made it back to the estate, I went straight to my room, with the human following. I arranged for the letter to be posted, the human placed the stake into the envelope. I wanted Rose to believe that I truly had survived, what other way would be best than not providing evidence for it? Giving her the stake would also prove to her that I'm not afraid of her, neither am I going to let her kill me. She can't, she must know that by now. But that won't stop her from trying. My brave and reckless Roza, if only you did join me in eternal love and life.

The thought that Rose was still out there, the fact that she's still out there as a threat, made me uneasy. I wouldn't be able to ever relax with that in mind. And an unstable mind puts me at risk of being killed. I'd have to set off immediately.

When I was ready to leave the estate, I had at least ten Strigoi with me and the same amount of humans. Most of the Strigoi volunteered to come, mainly because it was a change of scenery but also because they knew who Rose was. The fact that she had overpowered and almost killed me, gave her an infamous reputation here. They also wanted to kill her (for power, and to demonstrate their strength to the other Strigoi), but I had made it clear to them that it was me who would do it. I'm not sure how they had known of my fight with Roza, but it had boosted my status here. Surviving the blow of a silver stake---which had hit my heart---proved of my strength and no one dared to attack me after the incident in my office. I looked invincible to them, some of them envied it whilst some of them worshiped me.

The humans were an important asset to my hunt, I'd need them to spy on Rose during the day when I can't. Or if I'm hungry, and the sun was out . . . They didn't know what I'd do to them then, of course, and it would be better if they never find out. Right now, I'd need them, The rest of the Strigoi and humans would stay in the estate, just to manage it. I had placed Alex in charge whilst I was gone after a while of thinking about my decision. I still didn't trust her, and I'd expect that she'd want that power for eternity, the one that I will temporarily grant for her.

I didn't believe her act of being so happy and resentful towards gaining power. It's what all Strigoi craved, even she does. I'm very sure about that. She might plan some sort of rebellion against me when I'm gone, to put her in charge. I had done something similar to that, with Galina. All because I wanted power, and now I have it. I'll be even more stronger once all threats have been removed, including Rose.

I turned away, my back faced the estate. Roza, I'm coming for you. Now you truly have no way of escaping death. You should have joined me in eternal life when you had the chance, you made the wrong choice.

*********************************

That's the end folks. Done. Finished. Finito. Blood Promise anyways.

NEXT PART IS A SPIRIT BOUND POSSIBILITY DEBATE

x_aNoNYMouSTaCHe_x