Chapter 9

That's Rose above :-) 

***********************************

I stepped out, into the coolness of the night air. With my strigoi speed, I rushed through the maze. I looked around, scanning the area in search of followers. No one in sight. I carried on running, dodging obstacles till I got to Novosibirsk. I can't be late. I ran for what seemed like forever before I finally reached my destination.

The house looked like any old house. It matched it's neighbours, but this house was were Rose lived in. I stood at a far distance and watched. I was pretty sure Rose was still in there because I could smell her. I wasn't sure why I stood this far but I felt like she would sense me if I moved any closer so I kept my distance. 

Rose finally came out with a dhampir boy behind her. They looked alert and watchful as they walked. I had no idea where they were going but I followed any way while watching Rose intently. They walked casually like two teens going out on a date but at the same time they looked bad ass. I felt a little jealous that she was with him. 

I looked at my watch. It was only eight thirty, many strigoi prefered hunting at around eleven or midnight. I realised then that they weren't going to hunt. Curiously, I crept through the shadow and watched as the two of them entered an office building. 

A couple of minutes later, they walked out of the building with someone else. That girl Tamara. Rose and the boy must have gone to get the girl. The three of them remained quiet through the whole journey to their house oblivious to me watching them. 

Minutes before they arrived, I heard a low howl of pain that never seemed to end but got louder as we got closer. As they got closer to their house, I noticed an old, poor woman rolling around on the floor making strange noises just across the street. Rose and the others made low conversation between each other before they departed. Rose crossed the road and walked up to the hag.

Good, this was my chance. But it would have been better if the other two didn't leave Rose. I could kill them painfully before getting to Rose which would be more fun.

I decided to wait a bit before striking. Rose leaned her hand forward, offering her hand to the woman. The hag took it, grateful to the offer and started talking excitedly in russian about old crazy stuff. She tugged the sleeve of her dirty coat and hugged herself tightly. I ignored her and watched Rose. I didn't think Rose would ever do something like this, she even laughed with the crazy woman.

I couldn't take it any more. I walked upto the pair in light steps. The woman had an expression of fear on her face as she looked at my red eyes. Rose stiffened, her hand closed over the stake in her coat pocket.  

Rose spun around lunging her stake at my heart. She froze, the stake remaining inches away from my heart. As I had suspected, she hesitated. I smirked coldly as her soft brown eyes met my red ones. I could see the love in her eyes I did not return. 

We both studied each other, I couldn't stop myself. She was exactly the way I remember, not that I had expected anything to change. I looked her in the eye and spoke, knowing that I have won, and she was mine.

"Roza," I teased. "You forgot my first lesson; Don't hesitate." My fist struck out with a blow on the side of her head and she fell unconcious. I caught her in my arms before she could hit the ground and held her tight. Holding her like this felt foreign after so many weeks without her. 

The old woman was shaking as she tried to back off and run away. I rolled my eyes and I lunged and snapped her neck. I looked around the street for any witnesses but the streets were dead. I looked at Rose one last time before dashing through the streets and out of Novosibirsk. I passed many humans but to them I was a blur. The smell of Rose's blood was tempting and I felt my body ache for it. I have to get Rose somewhere safe quickly.