22 | Good Luck Charm

Thanks to Luke's three AM drop off and the fact that thoughts of my father plagued me all night my eyelids felt like they weighed thirty pounds as I sat in my first period class. Actually, it was extremely difficult to stay awake all day, and I nearly fell asleep in all my classes. It wasn't until science class, when my teacher shut the lights off to show us a PowerPoint, that my eyes actually did slide shut and I napped the rest of the period.

Thankfully, I had Brett there, and he nudged me awake at the end of the period. "Get up before Mr. Gosse sees you slept all class."

I smile lazily at him, feeling a bit better having some sleep under my belt, albeit less than an hour. When we were walking out, I praised him, "Thanks for waking me up. I seriously could've slept through eighth period."

Brett chuckles beside me. "Were you up late partying on a Monday night or something?"

"Something like that," I mutter begrudgingly.

"You can take a proper nap in forty five minutes," Brett offers with an optimistic smile. "I, on the other hand, have a game at seven. No naps for me."

We turned down the corner into the hallway of my English class as I sneak a glance at him. Brett's profile showed how attractive his strong jawline was, and it was easy to stare at him. I never really noticed before. He turned his head before I could answer and caught me looking at him, so I brushed it off with a smile and stared forward.

"A game?" I echo lamely.

"Our last game, actually, unless we somehow beat Waldwick High." Brett mutters, then brightens. "You should come."

My gaze focused on his again and he was looking at me hopefully. "Come?"

We stop in front of Ms. Hayes room and I turn to look at him again. He's laughing at me, shaking his head dismissively. "Are you even listening to me?"

I smile apologetically as I realize I'm merely repeating whatever he says. "Yes, I am," I ensure. "But didn't we talk about why I don't go to games anymore?"

Brett shrugs. "You don't have to watch Thomas. You can pay attention to me."

His cheeky grin makes me laugh. Why not? "Sure, I'll come."

Brett's grin widens if possible as he rubs his hands together. "Cool. I'll be the good looking one running the ball into the end zone."

"I'll remember that." I nod my head thoughtfully.

The bell rings dully over the speakers, and Ms. Hayes pops up in the doorway to shut the door. "Hey Lauren, I'm about to start class."

I smile politely at her. "Right, sorry." And then glancing at Brett as I walk in the door I say, "See you tonight."

And as I faced the full class already sitting in their seats and giving me their (unwanted) attention, before Mrs. Hayes shut the classroom door, I heard Brett call: "See you tonight, Lauren."

Despite the fact that the whole classroom was either watching me or murmuring about my plans with Brett that they so obviously overheard, I skillfully ignore their stares as I head to the back row. But as I pass Bailey, I can't help but notice her calculating gaze rest on me, her expression mirroring one of disappointment.