53 | Changes

I'm alive! To make up for the lack of updates, I made this chapter extra long. Enjoy!
******************

All week, I had been the first one out the door, primarily to avoid the stares and whispers that followed me everywhere. But today, I was out of my seat and with my hand on the door handle a millisecond after the bell rang for a different reason. Today, my father left, and I was eager to go home to say goodbye. 

I skipped a visit to my locker and went straight for the school's front doors. The sunshine has barely begun to graze my skin before I hear someone call my name from outside, but before I can turn around, I feel an arm wrap around my waist and pull me backward. 

"Slow down there, Collins," Nathan's deep voice whispers in my ear, sending goosebumps down my arms. "Where are you going so fast?"

With a lot of reluctance, and only because students began pouring out of the doors behind us, I pull away from his hold and turn to face him. Nathan was smirking, as I had assumed he would be, and I was positive that my cheeks were flushed from his mere touch. 

"I have to go home," I explain. "My dad is leaving tomorrow morning to go back to Florida. I'm meeting him at home to say goodbye." 

His smirk falls as Nathan nods, no longer amused. "It's nice you get to say goodbye this time." 

"Yeah," I smile. "He said he had something to give me." 

Nate smiles with me and scoops up my hand. "Then you can't be late," He insists as he pulls me toward my car. "Or else he'll give Luke your present instead, and let's be honest, Luke probably doesn't deserve it." 

I chuckle as we reach my car, and stop to smile at him. When I saw his electric eyes studying me thoughtfully, I wondered if he didn't want me to leave like how I didn't want to leave him.

"Call me later, okay?" Nate murmurs. 

I can't help my gaze from dipping to his lips as I nod slowly, and I watch as a smirk forms. When I lift my gaze back to his, Nate is already leaning toward me, his hand reaching out to grab my chin lightly to angle my lips toward his. In one swift motion, Nathan leans down and closes the minimal distance between us, and I feel his lips move against mine. 

I didn't realize how much I missed kissing him until his lips were on mine. Something about having Nathan so close to me, his musky scent surrounding me, savoring the feelings of his hands on my face, tasting his minty breath... It was all perfect. 

When he pulled away, I was in a daze, only able to stare at his lips and murmur, "Definitely."

Nate chuckled, his eyes alive as they float from my eyes to my lips. "You better," His gaze meets mine again and he smiles, taking a step back. "Go on, before I keep you all to myself."

With a full heart and a wide smile, I say goodbye and start the drive out of the school parking lot and toward my house. As I'm driving, my thoughts shift to my father, and I feel a small amount of sadness settle in the pit of my stomach at the notion of saying goodbye when I had just gotten him back. 

He wasn't there by the time I got home, so I went inside and made a sandwich to busy myself. Plus, thanks to the eventful lunch hour I had, I didn't get to eat much before it ended. I practically inhaled the sandwich and a bowl of watermelon before I heard a knock on the front door. 

"Hey dad," I greet as I open the door and see his smile. 

"Hey honey," He greets with a grin that lit up his entire face. "How have you been?" 

I step aside and let him come in, and as he does so, I grin wider. "As of a few hours ago, I've been doing great." He gives me a look, and I just mutter shortly: "Long story. But Nathan and I are back together and peace has been restored."