A shorthanded proposal

[edited October 19, 2019]

(Levi's pov)

As she sat in her car in front of the café, staring into oblivion, Levi watched from the cafe window. What an odd woman. The thought was reoccurring, sneaking into his mind ever since he met her.

He watched as she finally hauled herself out of her car, the white v-neck shirt letting him get a small peek of a sleeve she had on her right arm.
A small smirk tugged at his lips as she glared at him, looking absolutely disgusted and angry at the idea of having to meet up with him.
Albeit rude, Levi ignored her once she stepped foot in the cafe, his stoic expression and sharp eyes looking everywhere but the blue haired woman.
He could feel the aggravation rolling off her in waves.
She abruptly pulled the chair in front of him back, the legs scraping across the linoleum floor with a shrill screech.
"You're buying me an eclair."
Her smooth voice seemed out of place with her oddly colored hair and vivid etchings of black ink that sprawled across her arms. He raised a perfectly groomed eyebrow and raised his cup of coffee to his mouth. "Am I?"
She cocked an eyebrow, eyeballing his grasp on his coffee cup as she drummed her fingers against the table. "Yup. Payment for making me drive all the way out here, and for making me see that dumbass way of holding your cup." She said, a small smirk on her lips as she leaned against the table, her (e/c) eyes watching his every movement.
He narrowed his eyes, taking another drink just for emphasis.
"I'm not buying you one just for the comment." He responded, setting the cup down on the counter with a sigh.
"Aw, damn. I'm hungry.." She mumbled, casting a glance to the growing line behind her. "So did you call me here to tell me something?" She inquired, returning her piercing gaze to his face as she shifted in her seat. He sat back in his chair, crossing his legs under the table as his eyebrows rose."Hmm?" He decided to play dumb- her reactions made it seem like she was pushing his buttons, trying to figure out what kind of reactions she could get.
"Oh come on, I know that you're a shorty but surely the growth stunt didn't affect your brain too." She said, leaning back in her chair as her mouth curled into a small smile. 
He smirked.
"No.. I don't think height effects mental development." He said, a smirk on his face as he shifted in his seat nonchalantly. "But no- I did call you here for a reason." Levi leaned forward, elbows resting on the tabletop as her eyes glittered in response. "It's to address our... new living standards." He said, all mirth leaving his face as he regarded the woman in front of him. 

"This marriage... Is just a public appearance."

He waited for her reaction, and when she sat in a calm silence, he continued.
"We will act as married couples do in public, have shared bank accounts, live together, etcetera, but we are not, in quotes, 'married'." Levi added, sliding a prenuptial agreement across the table. He had no interest in marriage, but Hanji insisted he get married. She seemed to think it would 'soften him up a bit'.

The girl across from him tilted her head, eyes focusing on the paper on the table, before clicking her tongue scornfully. "Ohhh, that's what this is about." She said scornfully, her long, slender fingers reaching to touch the paper as she gave him the kind of look a mother would give a misbehaving child. "Now, I may be many things, but I'm not a gold digger." She said, her eyes sliding over the text on the paper as she laughed dryly. "When do you need this paper back?" She asked, her gaze lingering on the dotted line before she turned to see the state of the line behind her. Levi shrugged, taking another drink of his tea before letting his gaze rest on (y/n) again. "We'll sign it when we do all of the other paperwork. I just wanted to tell you that it wasn't optional." Levi said cooly, his steely eyes watching her every movement. The girl, however, seemed completely unfazed. "Mmkay." She said with a yawn, the dark circles under her eyes seeming more pronounced than the last time he saw her. "Is that it? I'll be disappointed if you made me drive thirty minutes to tell me you wanted a prenup." She said cooly, giving him a smile that didn't reach her eyes. 

"Hmm... No, that isn't really it. Do you have a boyfriend?" He asked, giving her a quizzical look as she let out a snort. "Oh hon, you must really have cobwebs in that head of yours. If I had a boyfriend, I wouldn't be in this mess, now would I?" She responded, her voice holding a note of irritation as she glanced at his empty cup. Levi rolled his eyes, gritting his teeth at her comment. "No need to insult my intelligence, this isn't kindergarten. I was only going to tell you that if you did, you needed to cut it off." He said, tilting his head to the side slightly. 

She raised an eyebrow, leaning forward and propping her chin on her hand as her (e/c) eyes bore into his. "Oh? So even though this marriage is purely business, I can't have any fun of my own?" She asked, her voice mocking as she watched him carefully. He scoffed, sliding the empty cup out of his way before folding his arms atop the table. "Right- this is a political marriage, so I can't have any rumors started because you're running around." His voice was irritated- surely, this wasn't a tough concept to understand. The girl's eyebrows furrowed as he sighed yet again. "Besides, we'll be married. We'll have to take on certain rituals of marriage, just don't expect anything from me." He said coldly, his steely gaze clashing with hers as her mouth pressed into a hard line. "And what does that mean?"

"That means that even if we have sex, I don't necessarily love you."