Strength

[Edited October 19, 2019] 

The car was quiet except for the sound of soft drizzling rain against the cars hood. Finally, the silence was broken by the sound of your faint chuckling. "What?" The question was strained, most likely due to the fact that you were so desperately trying to hold in laugher. "Levi-" You coughed a little, trying to calm yourself before finishing your sentence. "That makes as much sense as an episode of 'Family Guy'." You say, barely holding in a snicker as you glanced over at the rigid man in the drivers seat. He grunted, flicking on the windshield wipers as his jaw tightened, his hands clenching the steering wheel as he began to pull out of the Olive Garden parking lot. "You don't believe me then?" He said, his eyes flickering over to you as you turned in your seat to gave him. "You expect me to believe you Levi? The kid looks like he's only 18. Where do you even know him from?" You ask, looking at Levi as you begin to take your hair down from the right hairstyle. Levi glanced over at you, a grimace on his face as you absentmindedly braided your hair, waiting for a response. "Work." Levi mumbled, flicking the turning signal on as he awkwardly watched the road. "Work?" You echoed, cocking an eyebrow as you watched Levi turn onto the highway. "Yeah. I knew his father." Levi said, obviously not planning on elaborating further until you cleared your throat. "And?" You said slowly, trying to get him to spit out his next words. "And... there's a rumor that he murdered his own father." His voice was completely stern, devoid of any doubt, the accusation so chilling it made your skin crawl. "What? Do you have any proof?" You said after a long pause, your voice quieter than expected. Levi scoffed, glancing over at you with a scowl. "Of course not. If I did, do you really think that kid would be walking around?" He said, his voice cold and hateful. You blanched, staring at his profile as you tried to think of a reason why he would think this way. "But... but... what? That doesn't make any sense, Levi. How exactly did you know his dad? Did he work for you? How was his father murdered?" You stammered, your fingers twitching slightly as you tried to tie off your braid. The car ride was suddenly silent, mostly due to your husband's resentment for conversation, but also because of the way your brain stopped processing what was happening once Levi had mentioned murder. After a few more beats of silence, Levi pulled into your apartment parking lot and parked. "His father was my doctor- had been for a while. He was pretty close to Hanji, and sometimes she'd watch his kid." Levi paused, glancing over at you to make sure that you were listening. Once he saw that you were staring at him, completely sucked into his story, that he decided to continue on.
"Well, he died three years ago." He started slowly, his eyes focused on the dirty apartment building in front of him as he listened to the car engine purr. "We hadn't heard from him for a while, so I went with Hanji to check in on him." Levi said after a long pause, his hands clutching the steering wheel so hard that his knuckles turned white. "When we went into his house, it was trashed. Blood was everywhere, the lights were burnt out and destroyed, the house looked like a pack of animals had gone through it." You were silent as he paused again, the description that he had painted sending chills down your spine. "When we finally found Grisha, it was hard to identify him. His face-" Levi paused, his face expressionless, his eyes tortured and seemingly bloodshot, the light making his face look gaunt. Why hadn't you noticed it before? He looked terrible. "He was stabbed sixty-two times, his face had taken most of the damage. We found Eren in the corner of the room, completely spotless, a grin on his face." Levi paused again, turning to look over at you with a dark expression. "That's why, you're going to stay away from that kid." He said, his eyes locking with yours, his expression showing that he wasn't going to argue. "Levi-" you stopped, trying to not laugh and cry at the same time. You sighed, massaging the bridge of your nose before turning back to the man who was staring holes into you. "Fine- fine. I'll stay away. I just-" you paused again, your mind blanching for what seemed to be the 100th time. The story was incredibly heavy, and it made the man who sat next to you seem even more far away. It had caught you off guard- the fact that he had so easily and willingly told you his past. "Cmon- it's late." Levi murmured, pulling the keys out of the ignition with a sigh. He climbed out of the car, his jaw tense as he closed the door. Letting out a deep sigh, you followed suit and got out of the car, your eyes locked on the strange man that you had legally pledged your life to. Closing the door behind you, you awkwardly trailed behind Levi, your brain full of questions and terrifying images. "We need to discuss moving, by the way." He said, stopping in his tracks as he glanced back at you to make sure you're following. Chewing on your lip, you follow Levi up the stairs with a grimace. "So you're sure that you want me to live in the same house as you?" You ask, watching as he unlocked your apartment door. If it wasn't Levi, watching a man unlock you apartment would probably make you feel all kinds of special. "Of course (y/n)- it would only make sense." He said, shooting you a 'no duh' look before entering your apartment. Sighing deeply, you followed him inside the apartment and closed the door behind you. "Dont forget-" Levi coughed before turning to you, a deep frown carved into his face. "I want you to stay away from that freak, (y/n). I'll see you in the morning." And with that, Levi disappeared into your room without another word. Letting out a deep sigh, you stalk over to your fridge, kicking off your shoes in the process with a dark expression. Grabbing a beer from the fridge, you stewed on the story that Levi had told you, the bitter taste of beer doing nothing to help the sour expression that was fighting to make its way to your face. His story definitely seemed credible but... it just didn't make sense. As you sank into your couch, you let out an exhausted sigh.
Of course- the future held many more problems. But this was unbeknownst to you, especially as you slipped into your thoughts, sliding deep into the couch with a sigh.