4- Upside Down (part 2)

December 21, 2013

Alec's POV
I was just getting ready to close up the bar for the night since it was a little after midnight and we usually close at midnight but when I go to the door I see this young girl in nothing but a dress walk in soaked from head to toe. I was headed to see if I could help her when she started to collapse and I caught her in my arms. As I pick her up in my arms I could tell that even through all the cold rain she was burning up with fever. "Sophia call the local doctor and get him here," I call out to Sophia a girl I pay to help out around here. "Ok I'm on it," she call out grabbing the phone off the wall. I continue to hold the girl in my arms as I rush upstairs to my apartment so that I could lay her on my bed. As I lay her on my bed I begin to strip her wet clothes, I then grab a shirt from my dresser and put it on her hoping to help warm her up. "The doctor is on the way, is there anything I else I can do?" She asked me in a panic. "Grab me a bowl of hot water and a couple rags, then just wait down stairs for the doctor to arrive," I tell her as continue to try and warm the girl. "Here is what you asked for sir and I found this by the door I assume it is hers," Sophia says siting the stuff down on the night stand and handing me a small wallet before heading back down stairs. I open the wallet and find a drivers license that's says she was from Toronto, New Jersey, her name was Kate Ann Hunter, and she was twenty one. Looking at the girl I could tell that she wasn't twenty one so the license must be a fake but just maybe she kept her real name since most teens do.

"So will se be ok?" I ask the doctor once he got done examining her. "She should be fine she just seems to have phenomena from getting so wet pppand cold, but there is something you should know this young girl is pregnant," he informs me. "Wait how can you tell that," I ask him curiously. "When I was listen too her heart beat I was hearing two, hers and one of a baby," the doctor say holding the stethoscope out for me to use. I place the stethoscope on my ears and on her stomach, soon I could hear a strong, fast heart beat. "What should I do I can't send her back on the streets she looks so young and she pregnant," I ask him hoping he would have the answers. "Look if she was out in the rain at this hour of the night all alone in a bad area of town wearing only a dress, I would say she is running from someone like maybe the babies father, I say protect her at all cost but just no if the law find out you hiding a runaway teen you may get in a lot of trouble," the doctor say with a warning in his voice. "I will talk with her when she wakes, maybe I can get her to open up to me," I tell him knowing see ding her back out wasn't and option. "Sounds like a good start, look I have given her something that should break the fever but she will need to take it easy for a couple days then I will come back and check on her," he say gathering up his things then exiting the room. "I have clean everything and locked is there anything else you need or do you want me to stay with her," Sophia asked kindly. "No but here is some cash, could you stop and get her several suits of clothes and anything else she may need for when she wakes up," I says heading her some cash. "Sure I go pick some up before I come to work tomorrow," she say before turning and leaving me in the room alone with the girl. As I sit in the corner of the room watching her, I can tell she is dreaming about something horrible because she is violently shaking and screaming out "Stop please don't." I debate on if I should try and wake her but then decide against as I am sure waking up from a nightmare to a strangers face would scare her more.

I must have fallen asleep in the chair because I'm awaken by the girl screaming out, so I jump up and sit on the bed beside her deciding it was time to wake her from whatever was scaring her so bad. "Kate you need to wake up," I say shaking her gently. She wakes up crying hysterically and I just pull her into my arms holding her tight until she has finished crying. "I'm so sorry I don't even know you and here I am crying all over you," she say as she pulls from my arms and begins wiping her tears away. "It's fine really I know you have been through a lot," I say and she just gives me a confused look. "You came in here soaked, cold, and running a high fever last night and when the doctor checked you out he told me you pregnant," I say sympathetically. "Oh gosh I'm so embarrassed, I'm just going to gather my things and I will be on my way," she say and starts to get out of bed. "You don't have to run off really it's fine, plus the doctor said you needed to take it easy for a couple days,"l say making my way to the side of the bed where she is now standing. "Look I'm fine really I just forgot to grab a jacket before leaving my house," she say but I knew she was making things up as she went along. "Look Kate I don't know anything about you but I know that you are running from something or someone because why else would you come all the way from Toronto to Brooklyn in the middle of the night," I say in a serous tone of voice. "Why do you keep calling me Kate and how do you know I'm from Toronto?" She asked me sounding frightened. "Calm down I found your driving license in your bag," I say grabbing them off the night stand and showing them to her. I watch as she studies them almost as if she had never seen them before. "Your real name isn't Katie is it?" I ask her and she just shook her head no slightly. "Not exactly, it's my middle name," she say avoiding eye contact with me. "Look you don't have to tell me anything, but if you stay here I can protect you," I say have the strong urge to keep her safe. I reach or placing my hand on her arm but she quickly jumps from my grasp. "Please don't," she says her voice low and having no emotion. "I want hurt you," I say but not making any moves towards her. "I know, I don't know how but I feel as though I can trust you," she say taking a step back towards me. "Look I can't tell you anything because it would be putting my life at risk, maybe in time I will tell you everything but for now just keep calling me Kate," she say pleading with me. "Alright I want force you to do anything, and I'm Alec Hale by the way," I say holding my hand out to her. After hesitating for just a moment she places her hand in mine. "Look I have to go downstairs and gets the bar ready to open, but make yourself at home and Sophia should be here soon with you some clothes and things. "Um ok, thanks for getting me some things I guess," she say still a little hesitant. I have to figure out a way to make her feel welcome.

Picture of Alec on this page.
Vote please!!