chapter 8, the Sunderland

Chapter 8, the Sunderland

Elsa watched Alexander talking to several locals from the comfort of her office chair. Now, ever since HMS Norway had joined the Arrendelle fleet, Elsa's feelings for the young naval officer had been growing sharply.

Anna, who was helping Elsa out with the paperwork relating to the construction of a prototype Coal, fired steam engine which could be fitted to ships like the Pride and Spirit of Arrendelle to give them a speed advantage and documents relating to new breach loading guns which could achieve a higher rate of fire and deal more damage at longer range than the old muzzle loaders currently fitted to Arrendelle's warships, watched Elsa and she felt sympathy for her elder sister.

"I just wish that Alexander and I could be together" Elsa said quietly to herself.

Anna's ears perked up at this.

"You know, I might not have much experience with love but I picked up a few tricks from the romance section in the library" Anna said.

Elsa looked at Anna curiously, "What are you going on about?"

"I'm just saying that I can help get you two into a relationship" Anna replied.

"But, what if Alexander turns out like Hans?"

"He won't, you just have to take it nice and slow"

Elsa grinned before she said "Well Anna, what's step one?"

Alexander strode back aboard the Norway after supervising some loading of a crate of food for the Norway's kitchens. He smiled at the beautiful city of Arrendelle for a long while before sound of the general alarm hit him with full force!

"BATTLE STATIONS, BATTLESTATIONS, AIRCRAFT COMING IN THREE O CLOCK, READY THE ANTI AIR BATTERIES!" Davies's voice boomed through the speakers.

Alexander raced up the stairs to the bridge and raised his binoculars up at the rapidly approaching aircraft. It was huge; it had four huge engines mounted on high mounted wings with floats hanging down off the wing tips.

"AA Guns are ready to open fire" Davies announced.

Alexander looked at the Plane for one long moment and a flash of recognition hit him full in the face.

"Hold your fire. That's a Sunderland flying boat, she's one of ours!" he ordered.

As if the Huge Flying boat heard him, it dipped its right wing and gently flew around the Fjord. Obviously the pilot was looking for a good enough stretch of water to land.

"Get the motor launch out there as soon as the Sunderland lands" Alexander ordered.

As the crew rushed to get the Motor Launch ready the Sunderland swung around again and with a careful grace, it descended towards the water. Its four engines roared loudly before the Sunderland's hull came into contact with the Fjord and the noise of the engines dimmed to a slight hum as it taxied over to the quayside. The motor launch sped out towards the flying boat as the aircraft shut down its engines and dropped out its anchor. Arrendelle's citizens had again gathered to see the huge Flying boat as the motor launch collected its pilot and brought him to the Norway. The citizens had seen the Norway's swordfish when it set off on reconnaissance flights but none of them knew that aircraft could get so big!

Alexander was waiting on the bridge as the Sunderland's commander was escorted on-board. He was tall, almost Alexander's height, had dark blonde hair and blue eyes, his sideburns, moustache and short beard made him look like a pirate!

He saluted Alexander and Alexander returned the gesture.

"I am Flight Lieutenant Marcus Fletcher sir. Gosh, it was good to see your ship. We would have been goners if we hadn't" the Pilot said in a crisp Cornish accent.

"Lieutenant Commander Alexander McDonald" Alexander replied.

Fletcher smiled at Alexander and said "Where the heck are we, if you don't mind me asking sir?"

"We are in the Port of Arrendelle." Alexander replied.

Fletcher chuckled, earning him angry glances from Davies, Alexander and several of the bridge crew which made him stop.

"You might have noticed that your radios don't work at all and you will have flown through a snow storm with green snowflakes. This is because we have entered somehow into a place where the war isn't happening and several kingdoms exist. They are at war and I have put the Norway at Arrendelle's disposal to end the war as quickly as possible." Alexander continued.

Fletcher looked at Alexander as if he had two heads for a second before he nodded and his face became a mask of understanding.

"I have noticed this, I am also sceptical of what you said but I am willing to believe you for now" He said.

"Excellent!" Alexander said before he gave orders to get the rest of the Sunderland's crew ashore and for an armed guard to protect the plane.

The HMS Norway/Arrendelle alliance had gained a large, long range patrol and transport plane. Things would get interesting.