[6] secrets and homework

The memory accompanied me to my Spanish class. I walked in, and saw Casey at her usual place - only her best friend wasn't there. As I passed, I gave her a smile, which she eagerly returned.

"Know anyone in any of your classes?"

"Nope." I shook my head as I went to my seat. Her eyes followed me.

"Bummer."

"That's what Tahlia said, too."

"What about guys?" She wiggled her eyebrows. I internally winced, as the memories of her actions from last semester resurfaced. I pressed my lips together, and shook my head.

"Aw, come on, there must be someone."

"Even if there was, I wouldn't tell you."

That was the truth. She had the gall to look offended, and asked me only once more before giving up. My shoulders relaxed, and my breath left me in a deep sigh.

Will was his name.

He was in my last biology class. He – like Conrad – sat next to me, only he was much warmer, much friendlier. Little-by-little, he engaged me in his conversations, and we were even assigned to do a project together. I always laughed when I was with him. I liked him – as a friend.

Then came Casey.

From the first day she'd noticed our friendship, she tried to change our friendship. I learned that she and Will went way back. But I doubted it had only been the fleeting crush she claimed it was, because Will did everything she told him to.

Gone were the friendly smiles and jokes. Instead, they were replaced by hugs, looks, and blush-worthy words whispered in my ear. If someone teased about me being his girlfriend – he didn't deny it. If someone commented on how cute we looked – he'd do it all over again. All for laughs. All to see the embarrassed smile on my face.

All as a joke, one that put distance between us. I thought it was okay, since we weren't the best of friends anyways.

Yet sometimes, I still felt angry at Casey.

* * *

Conrad didn't look at me, today.

He was there before me this time. He bent over his paper a bit as I sat down, and then continued to scribble. I attempted to get a glimpse at what he was doing, but he gripped his paper even tighter.

Back to square one, I supposed.

We didn't have any group work, which made things easier. Time ticked at a rapid pace, and before I knew it – it was time to leave. I quickly jammed my things into my backpack, whereas Conrad took his time. Standing up, I prepared to leave.

"Wait," His words – along with his fingers against my wrist – halted me. I looked over my shoulder, to see him giving me a look of confusion.

"Yes?" I breathed.

"She didn't assign any homework, did she?" He jerked his head towards our teacher, who was busy wrapping things up. Smiling, I shook my head.

"Nope, no homework this time."

"Oh, okay, thanks."

He dropped my wrist.

As he went off on his own way, my heart fluttered.

* * *