Chapter 3 - Alone Together

I sat there on the steps, annoyed and depressed all at once. Who was he to talk to me like that?! Oh yeah, he's the Colonel, so he can say or do anything he wants. Well not with me, he can't. At least he's not Fuhrer... then this country would be doomed. After sitting on the steps for about 10 to 15 minutes, i stood up and started walking down the road, away from the Command Center. A few minutes of walking led me to an alleyway. This was better then sitting out in the open. I like dark places where no one can see me. They give me some security. I walked down the alley, and i stopped when i found a good, comfortable looking place to sit down. This was my kind of paradise; alone, dark, and empty. Just like my life. I closed my eyes and sighed, taking in the rain and the cool breeze that accompanied it.

Just then, i heard something. Crying, coming from down the alleyway. Not human crying, it sounded like a puppy. I stood up, eager to find the source of the noise. i followed the noise until i found where it was coming from. I knelt down, looking under a pile of crates that were piled on top of the puppy. I guessed that the crates must have fallen over on it. Either way, why was there a puppy out here in a dark alley?! I took the crates off and threw them aside, one by one. When i finally got to the puppy, i had to take a second to realize how adorable she was. I had to look passed her tangled fur and dirty state to see it. The puppy was black and white, with spots all over her. I'm not too expert on dogs, but I knew she definitely wasn't a dalmation... what was she?

I picked her up slowly, examining her to make sure she wasn't hurt. She was okay, just in a state of shock. I would be, too, if a pile of crates fell right on top of me like that.

"It's okay. You're okay, now." I said, bringing her close to me. The dog licked my face, totally ecstatic that there was someone here that loved him.

"Haha, i love you too." i said, overjoyed that i had a new companion now. "By the looks of it, you have no home, and you're a lone ranger. So in ways we're completely the same." I put her back down on the dirty, wet ground.

"I think i'll name you...," I said, trailing off. It was hard to think of a name for her, since i didn't even know what she was like. "I'll name you Hitori." The dog's reaction was kind of amusing. She tilted her head to the side and gave me a puzzled look. "it means alone. We were both alone, but now we're alone together."  She barked, almost as if she was approving of the name. "Come on!" i yelled to her, running through the alley, the wind messing up my long black hair and the rain spraying into my face. Hitori ran close behind as i turned around the corner, bumping into a tall man in a military unform. We both stopped in our tracks.

"What're you doing out here in the rain?"

"I could ask you the same thing." I countered, glaring up at him.

"I've never seen you around here before," he said, holding out his hand for a handshake. "I'm Lieutenant Colonel Maes Hughes, but you can just call me Hughes." I shook his hand lightly, unsure of why he was being so nice to me.

"I'm Akari Sakura-"

"Oh that's wonderful! Nice to meet you, Akari! Would you like to see a picure of my beautiful daughter, Elicia?! I swear she's the cutest little girl you'll ever see!" He started pulling the picure out of his pocket when i stopped him.

"No, no, i'm fine. Either way, i don't want to get the picture wet with the rain and all."

"Oh..," He said, sliding the picture back into his pocket. "i guess you're right." He laughed.  Oddly, i kind of liked this guy. He's not serious, like the Colonel, and at least i know he has a heart, unlike someone we all know. I almost laughed out loud at my own joke, but then returned to reality and was glad i didn't.

"Well, i have to be going now," I said, picking up Hitori. "i hope i'll see you around!" He waved as we turned around and walked down the street. When we rounded the next corner, guess who was there. yup. Them again.

"why are you following me?!" I yelled through the wind and rain.

"We just need to talk to you!" Said the kid in the armor. "My name is Alphonse and this is my older brother, Edward."

"Just stay away from me!" I yelled, running back the way i came. I would've ran back to Hughes for help, but he was gone. "Damnit." i thought. I sprinted back down the alleyway were i found Hitori and turned around. I placed the puppy on the ground to get her out of the way.  With both of my hands, i made a movement that looked like i was tracing a heart in the air, then clapped. I placed my hands down to the ground and transmuted a huge wall of stone to block the entrance. "That should be good." I said, motioning for Hitori to follow me. I was halfway out of the dark when i heard a huge Bang. I turned around only to see the wall i had made with a huge hole in it, and 'Alphonse and Edward' coming up behind me.