Chapter 6 - Back Story

I looked at myself in the mirror. I still was a little confused about what was going on. So to recap, i went to Central to apply to be a State Alchemist, got exposed, and then ran out. I found Hitori, got chased by weirdos, and now i'm on a train with the people who were chasing me. I have one word that can describe this situatiion as a whole. Bizzare. I stared at the sad face in front of me. My long, wavy black hair fell in my face, covering the eyepatch, almost like it was helping me to conceal it. "I wonder how long i'll survive on my own, after they're gone" i thought, remembering the guys who brought me on the train. I should probably be getting back to them, anyway. I combed through my hair with my hand to make me a little bit more decent.

I sat down in the train booth and got myself situated. They didn't say anything, though.

"Hey, um, i'm back." i said, trying to get their attention.

"We never got to tell you." Edward said quietly.

"Tell me what?"

"About us. Why we're like this."

"Oh..Um..you don't have to tell me if you don't want to." I said, being able to relate to how they feel. Edward shook his head slowly.

"We have to tell you at some point either way."

"Ah-Okay.."

"We tried to bring back our mom after she died from sickness.." Alphonse started.

"But what about your father?" Edward had an angry expression on his face.

"He abandoned us and our mother." Said Edward, his voice quivering with hatred. I looked down at my hands, feeling  sympathy for them.

"I never told you what happened with me, did i...?" I asked sadly, looking up at both of them.

"No..." They both said together. "you didn't."

"My dad was murdered when i was young. later on, my mother commited suicide from the depression of my dad's death." Edward looked at me with horror in his eyes. "They loved me so much, and i loved them right back..." I smiled, my voice cracking as i said this. tears rose to my eyes and not long after, i felt them slide down my cheeks. "I couldn't live without either one of them.. I didn't know how i could make it alone." i could barely get the words out. "Sorry." I apologized, wiping the tears from my face. "I'm such a crybaby."

"No... I-it's okay." He said quickly.

We rode the train until 9:00 PM when we arrived in my hometown.  We got off the train and i pointed them toward my house. I had been living in it for a while after my parent's death and attempt of revival, so it was pretty neat. I opened the door and stepped inside. I switched on the light and walked down the hall, Edward and Alphonse following.

"Edward?"

"Just call me Ed, okay?"

"Okay.. Ed?" I asked, blushing.

"Yeah, what is it?"

"Do you mind spending the night here with your brother?" My face turned completely red.

"Oh uhh.. yeah sure."

"Thanks..." i said. "I just don't think i could spend another night in this house alone.."

"Yay!! Sleepover! I've never had a sleepover before!"

"Yeah. Let's make this fun." I exclaimed, giving an enthusiastic look.

We all got situated and ready before going to bed. being all in the same room, it was really awkward. You see, our house was really small because of how little our family was. So therefore, there wasn't much space for everyone. We all lay there in silence, staring at the ceiling waiting for our eyes to get tired and close. I wasn't tired, though. After the failed attempt of revival of my parents, i always found it hard to fall asleep in this house. Memories always haunted me.

"Hey Ed, are you awake?" I whispered.

"Yeah." He whispered back.

"Do you.. Do you ever think of what life would be like if your family were still together?"

"Y-yeah i do."

"Then i guess i'm normal.."

"Huh?"

"I think about it all the time. I wondered if i was strange because of thinking things like that.."

"No.. No, you aren't strange."

"Thanks" I turned on my side to face Ed's direction. "Means a lot for you to say that."

"Akari.."

"Yeah?"

"Why don't you ever smile?"

"What are you talking about?"

"I noticed on the train. The one and only time that i've seen you smile was when you were talking to us about your parents."

"I have no reason to smile." I said, a suprised look coming onto Edward's face.

"We're you're reason to smile!" I heard Alphonse's voice, joining our supposedly secret conversation. I sighed slowly.

"Alright, then you're my reason to smile." I gave them a fake little smile, convincing enough to make them satisfied. "Thanks." Our conversation ended, and i fell asleep thinking about what i would do tomorrow, when they left and disappeared out of my life forever.