5- Trust

Frisk woke up with a start, sitting up and letting out a shriek. She was ice-cold and covered in sweat. She took a moment to calm her breathing before looking around and taking in her surroundings.

She was lying in a bed in an unfamiliar room, which was odd seeing as she'd practically memorized every nook and cranny of the underground. It looked like someone had went to the effort to put a blanket over her, but she'd tossed it on the floor in her sleep.

Nobody had entered the room when she screamed, so she carefully got out of the bed, trying not to make any noise. But when she took a step, the sheet tangled around her ankle and she faceplanted, a loud bang echoing through the house. She froze, listening silently despite the overwhelming urge to use those curse words she'd heard in Alphys' anime so long ago.

The door opened, and the monster she least expected to save her walked in.

"Hey kid," Sans said from the doorway, "Uh, what are you doing on the floor?" He flashed that shit eating grin. "Falling for me already?"

"I, um, tripped," Frisk replied, reaching to untangle her foot. She could feel the heat rising to her face, whether from the awkward situation or the stupid pun he'd made, she couldn't tell. "Anyway," she said, standing up and regaining herself, "How did I get here?"

"I found you outside of Snowdin," Sans said without missing a beat, "You looked chilled to the bone."

Frisk couldn't help but chuckle and answer, "I was just taking a nICE nap." Sans laughed a little as well, taking her positive reaction as an invitation to sit down on the edge of the bed. Feeling emboldened, Frisk sat down beside him, and the mood sobered. "Thank you for saving me. I know it would have been easier to just let me die."

"Don't thank me, kid. I'm no hero," Sans stated bluntly, the white pinpricks in his eye sockets searching her face, "I was going to kill you. But some of the things I heard made me change my mind. Now, I can't say that I trust you, but..." He trailed off.

"Were you... following me?" Frisk asked, feeling chills prickling her spine. Her attempts to shake any followers had been completely in vain, and if he'd been ready to kill her the entire time she had been closer to dying for good than she thought.

Sans was unapologetic, his eyes turning black, and Frisk resisted the urge to inch away. "Last time I let you wander by yourself, you killed my brother."

This was met with silence, a heavy silence that seemed to take up physical space in the room, practically choking them. Finally, Frisk let out the words she'd been meaning to say to Sans since she'd reset, maybe even before. When she was still a prisoner in her own body, a bystander to Chara's deeds.

"I'm so sorry," she said, looking him dead in the eyes. "I know that nothing I say will change what I've done, but I am sorry. I never meant for any of this to happen."

He held her gaze for a few moments, and all Frisk could think was that they were alone in what was- presumably- his room, and if she leaned forward just a little more she could kiss him.

Which was a stupid thought, because she just poured her heart out, letting it bleed all over the floor, and all she could think about was kissing him.

And an even more stupid thought, because skeletons don't even have lips.

Being older was weird.

"Welp, I think it's time for us to go," Sans finally said, breaking the silence, standing and walking out of the room.

"Us?" Frisk called after him, surprised at his choice of pronouns. She followed quickly, careful not to trip over any more sheets, "Where are we going?" She recognized the rest of the house as the one Sans and Papyrus shared. She'd never realized she hadn't been in Sans' room before.