11- Numb

A/N: HAVE SOME FEELS *throws feels at you*

When Frisk woke, she felt like her entire body was on fire and she nearly cried out. It took her a moment to remember where she was- at the bottom of a cliff in Hotland. She tried to move her arms and legs but found she couldn't, and not because Chara had taken over, but because she could hardly feel them at all.

Really, Frisk? How stupid can you get? When Frisk heard Chara's voice her heart sank. For just a moment, she had thought herself free. We're going to die here because of you.

Frisk didn't have the energy to answer- she just laid there, staring at the distant ceiling of the Underground. It was over and done- nothing more she could do. She could feel her vision blurring in and out, flickering red, and knew that it was Chara trying to take control.

"Haven't you... had enough...?" Frisk whispered, "It's the end now." She smiled slightly, too numb for tears.

You're a fool. How dare you give up now?!

Frisk let out a noise that was half a laugh, and half a pathetic wheeze. "I think that's the most encouraging thing you've... ever said to me."

Just shut up. I don't want to hear it.

The red flickering continued, growing so disorienting that Frisk had to close her eyes. She couldn't sleep- she'd practically conditioned herself against it in the past week, and the pain in her limbs was almost too much to bear, much less fall asleep with it.

"Having a bad time?" a voice asked, and Frisk's eyes snapped open. She could see a pair of pink slippers by her head, and slowly, painfully slowly, looked up to see Sans standing above her.

"You've said that to me before," Frisk replied, smiling, "You need a new line."

"What can I say?" Sans said, grinning back at her, "I'm a creature of habit." There was a thread of concern in his teasing tone, and he sat down beside her, gently lifting her head and shoulders and propping them up on his knee. "Are you... you, right now?" He asked, and the vulnerability in his voice and his face were devastatingly real. He was certain she was going to die- otherwise there was no way he would let his emotions show so openly.

"Yes, I'm in control right now. But I don't think I will be for long." Frisk said gently, trying to smile comfortingly, but it was weak. She closed her eyes for a long moment, and when she opened them her vision was completely red again.

Sans took in a quick, sharp breath. "Kid, your eyes..."

"I know," Frisk affirmed, "They're red, aren't they?" She blinked, and the intensity of the crimson diminished, but there was still a slight tinge, like a stain she couldn't get out.

"I'm so sorry," Sans murmured, and Frisk shook her head ever-so-slightly.

"Why are you sorry? I brought this on myself," she responded firmly, then mused, "Maybe it's better this way."

"Don't say that," Sans growled, eyes darkening, but Frisk went on.

"This way, no one else has to get hurt. Asgore can use my soul to break the barrier, and everyone wins."

"What a hollow victory," Sans stated, and Frisk glanced at his face. He was still grinning- always grinning- but his voice and eyes were furious, made even more eerie by the red tinge.

"Can I ask something selfish?" Frisk asked. She tried to lift her left arm but found she couldn't move it, having landed on it, so she switched to her right arm. Shakily, she raised her right hand and laid it on Sans' cheek. The fight seemed to go out of him then, and he covered her hand in his own. "Can you stay with me until I die?"

"No," Sans said without hesitating, voice low and intent. Frisk almost dropped her hand in surprise, but he held on to it. "You're only dying because you're letting yourself. You owe them all more than to just let go." His words were a blade. "You took their lives before. Don't take their happiness now."

"Chara will take back control," Frisk protested.

"Then don't let her." He was merciless.

"This is the only way I know how," Frisk said, desperation creeping into her voice.

"Find another way. You're the only one who can." He lowered her hand, gently laying it back on the ground. "I'm rooting for you, bud." She could remember him saying that before, in past timelines, and the thought made her smile. She could feel him stroking her hair as she sank into a red, and then black, haze.

Chara appeared before her, just like in previous dreams, but she had a concentrated frown on her face rather than a smile.

"What's going on?" Frisk asked, flexing her hands and feet, pleased to find that she could still use them in the dream.

I'm taking over. Chara's answer was straightforward and blunt, without the smugness and gloating Frisk was used to.

"Why? Why now?" Frisk demanded, and Chara's frown deepened, mouth twisting like Frisk was offering her an unappetizing food.

I'm going to save myself, and I suppose you too by extension. I'm healing us.

"I'll find a way to stop you," Frisk pledged, and that finally brought the smile back to Chara's face.

I look forward to seeing you try.

When Frisk opened her eyes again, she was in the same spot. She found that she could wiggle her fingers and toes, and smiled, but it soon fell flat. Funny that what should have been her life-saving miracle actually meant that she had lost. At least the red sheen to her eyes had disappeared.

She looked around to see if Sans had waited for her, but he was gone.

Frisk stood up, feeling strangely lighthearted despite it all. She had another chance. "It isn't over," she murmured, a tiny smile tugging at the corner of her lips.

In the background, Chara laughed.